Deere Lawn Tractor Does Not Roll, wheels locked

steve0701

Threads
After 25 years the old John Deere SX-75 rear-engine lawn tractor is ready to go to the parts farm. It would be a whole lot easier to move it to the street if the rear wheels would roll. When they are both off the ground they turn very nicely, but in opposite directions! Does anyone have a quick fix or a post you can point me to? The shift lever makes no difference, and I can see that it is still connected to some linkage. (If there is no quick fix, I'd still feel better just knowing a bit more about what might have happened, and what would be involved if anyone wanted to make a proper repair). Thanks!

Threads
After 25 years the old John Deere SX-75 rear-engine lawn tractor is ready to go to the parts farm. It would be a whole lot easier to move it to the street if the rear wheels would roll. When they are both off the ground they turn very nicely, but in opposite directions! Does anyone have a quick fix or a post you can point me to? The shift lever makes no difference, and I can see that it is still connected to some linkage. (If there is no quick fix, I'd still feel better just knowing a bit more about what might have happened, and what would be involved if anyone wanted to make a proper repair). Thanks!

It sounds like its stuck in gear is there any adjustment on the shifter at the tranny?

Threads
I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile:

steve0701

Threads
the solution

The solution was actually quite simple. I pulled one of the rear wheels and then removed the key from the slot in the axle. That disconnected the wheel from the transmission. Even though one axle is actually turning in the opposite direction of its wheel. the tractor will have no trouble rolling into the parts farm.

Threads
Re: the solution

The solution was actually quite simple. I pulled one of the rear wheels and then removed the key from the slot in the axle. That disconnected the wheel from the transmission. Even though one axle is actually turning in the opposite direction of its wheel. the tractor will have no trouble rolling into the parts farm.

I'm glad you figured it out! :smile: