Electrical wiring tip

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all, the last two weeks I have been rewiring my two story barn so it is up to code, it had 14 gage underground wire, no service panel, and three bare litebulbs and two outlets...this for a two story, 24X36 building!!! I ran a new 12/2 UF feeder, installed a 60 amp sub panel, installed ten shop lights, 20 outlets, an outdoor security lite, two 300 watt exterior floodlites, two overhead garage door openers, etc.

My hands were getting so sore from twisting on those big red wire nuts and using pliers to thread them on , I spotted my socket set on the workbench and a "light" came on in my head, "will those deep sockets fit these wire nuts"....YUP, they did. Using a stubby 3/8 inch drive ratchet and 13/16 inch spark plug socket works so great, you can get those wire nuts on MUCH tighter and not strain your hands...for those wondering, a 5/8 inch deep socket works great on the yellow wire nuts. :biggrin: I edited this to explain the socket trick only works on the wire nuts with the wings that help you twist them on, not all wire nuts have those.

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all, the last two weeks I have been rewiring my two story barn so it is up to code, it had 14 gage underground wire, no service panel, and three bare litebulbs and two outlets...this for a two story, 24X36 building!!! I ran a new 12/2 UF feeder, installed a 60 amp sub panel, installed ten shop lights, 20 outlets, an outdoor security lite, two 300 watt exterior floodlites, two overhead garage door openers, etc.

My hands were getting so sore from twisting on those big red wire nuts and using pliers to thread them on , I spotted my socket set on the workbench and a "light" came on in my head, "will those deep sockets fit these wire nuts"....YUP, they did. Using a stubby 3/8 inch drive ratchet and 13/16 inch spark plug socket works so great, you can get those wire nuts on MUCH tighter and not strain your hands...for those wondering, a 5/8 inch deep socket works great on the yellow wire nuts. :biggrin: I edited this to explain the socket trick only works on the wire nuts with the wings that help you twist them on, not all wire nuts have those.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the tip and by golly I bet you can see what you're doing now. I don't do much wiring as I have found it to be a rather shocking experience.

Something else I've found to make things a little easier on the hands is Atlas mechanic gloves. I bet they would work real well for electric work. There are several styles but those I like are about $3.40/pair if you buy 6 pair in the right place. When new they grip real well and as they get older and loose their grip I pitch them and go for a new pair. If a pair won't last a couple of months that's telling me I'm working too hard.:biggrin:

173abn

Threads
Hey JDgreen,good tip.I wired my 100yr.old barn a few yrs. ago. a good book got me through it ok.I just finished with the addition I built on to it.A trick I learned was to use my cordless drill and a spade screwdriver tip to screw the rececpitals ,switchs into the boxes. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey JDgreen,good tip.I wired my 100yr.old barn a few yrs. ago. a good book got me through it ok.I just finished with the addition I built on to it.A trick I learned was to use my cordless drill and a spade screwdriver tip to screw the rececpitals ,switchs into the boxes. russ

I cannot imagine fastening boxes without a cordless drill and a set of bits. Unlike most people I use ALL METAL BOXES, period. I hate the darn plastic ones they sell these days because they usually have no means to really secure the wires where they enter the box while a metal box had round knockouts and you can use cable clamps. It's so much easier to push the excess wire back in the box if it will not flop around.

Another advantage to metal boxes...you can secure all the ground wires to the back of the box using a sheet metal screw and get them out of the way plus that method also grounds the metal boxes well. The only advantage to plastic boxes are cheapness and fast installation, and usually they are deeper than metal boxes, but I still detest them.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ran a new 12/2 UF feeder, installed a 60 amp sub panel, installed ten shop lights, 20 outlets, an outdoor security lite, two 300 watt exterior floodlites, two overhead garage door openers, etc.

How long was the 12/2?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How long was the 12/2?

I know why you are asking...because of the voltage drop. Answer is, it's 120 feet away from my main panel which is 200 amps. I can turn on every light, run a shop vacuum that draws 7 amps, and operate a GDO without tripping the 20 amp breaker that serves the circuit. I do not have anything out there that draws more than 8 amps, and I never have all the lights on and use the door openers at the same time.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know why you are asking...because of the voltage drop. Answer is, it's 120 feet away from my main panel which is 200 amps. I can turn on every light, run a shop vacuum that draws 7 amps, and operate a GDO without tripping the 20 amp breaker that serves the circuit. I do not have anything out there that draws more than 8 amps, and I never have all the lights on and use the door openers at the same time.

I still would have used 10 or 8 -- my whole house is 12 Ga. or more if needed - cost a few $ more when being built, but everything is above min. code. :biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I still would have used 10 or 8 -- my whole house is 12 Ga. or more if needed - cost a few $ more when being built, but everything is above min. code. :biggrin:

From 2002 thru 2004 my wifes brother and I gutted the house his sister and I live in, it was a 900 square foot 2 bedroom 1 bath, we enlarged it to 2350 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, upgraded electrical service from 60 amp to 200 amp, all new wiring was 12 gage although code permits 14-2 for all rooms except kitchen...mortgage will be paid off in 2 years and then we are going to build a 40X60 pole barn for all my toys...THAT will get 10 or maybe 8 gauge wire so I can run a welder. :smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
.THAT will get 10 or maybe 8 gauge wire so I can run a welder. :smile:

Years ago I ran 00 gage Under ground to my barn shop...
Did not need it then, but as I started adding things I sure was glad I did it while I had a trench open... :smile:KennyV
Don't think you can run it too large......

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Years ago I ran 00 gage Under ground to my barn shop...
Did not need it then, but as I started adding things I sure was glad I did it while I had a trench open... :smile:KennyV
Don't think you can run it too large......

Hope you didnt buy it when copper wire prices were sky high :eek: