deck clutch switch

gatorblade

Threads
Just turned 500 hrs on my 02, 60" HustlerZ. After an hour mowing I shut the deck off and it wouldn't restart until the mower cooled down. This is the third time this has happened, twice last fall, and now. Does the switch or clutch need cleaned or adjusted, or is this soon to be a dealer issue?
Thanks, Gatorblade

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you say won't start, do you mean turns over, but won't fire? If that is the case check to see if you have spark. If no spark, you are having a heat induced short in the coil. This would mean replacing the coil.

gatorblade

Threads
Thanks Rivets

With the motor running, I shut the deck switch off after mowing for for awhile and the deck won't turn back on unless I shut the motor off until everything cools , then the deck switch will work just fine until I shut it off while hot, then I wait again. Sorry for my misleading you.
Thanks , Gatorblade

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that info I suspect that the clutch is the one with a heat related open When you shut off the power residual heat allows one of the windings to expand and open.

gatorblade

Threads
What would be the degree of difficult, working on the clutch? When I was choosing between the Hustler and Dixie Chopper the sales person
stressed on the manual deck engagement of the Dixie VS the electric on the Hustler. I didn't like the engagement lever in the middle of the deck. Oh well
Thanks, Gatorblade

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have the adjustable electric clutch, the one with the three nuts with springs above them. slide a feeler gauge in the slot next to the bolt, between the two plates, and set the gap at .012 all the way around and see what happens. when the clutch heats up the resistance increases, and may not be able to produce enough magnetic pull to engage hot.

gatorblade

Threads
Adjusted plates through the slots. Tightened nuts 1/4 to 1/2 turn to get .012 clearance. May be able to test Tues. if this rain stops long enough.
Thanks, Gatorblade

gatorblade

Threads
After mowing a total of 4hrs. yesterday and today the clutch worked OK. I made sure to shut off the clutch switch 5 times each day after mowing an hour and the clutch started back each time. Much thanks for all the input, especially the game winner from Ilengine.
Gatorblade

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear it's fixed. IL, you out did me again, but I'll keep trying.