Cub Cadet i1050 - PTO Clutch Engagement Problem

Canada_CT230

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just joined the forum. I am also on the TractorByNet forums.

I have a 2007 Cub Cadet i1050 mower. I took it out for the first lawn cutting of the year today. I encountered a problem with the electric PTO.

I believe that I have isolated the problem but a confirmation would be nice.

Problem: I can not engage the PTO (blades) when in the 'Normal' position on the key switch. I can however engage the PTO (blades) when in the 'Reverse Mow' key switch position. I cut the grass in that position. I normally mow half the time in 'Reverse Mow' anyway.

When the tractor was not running, I turned the key switch to the 'Normal' position. I heard a constant clicking in the PTO relay. Go to the 'Reverse Mow' position and the clicking stops. I unplugged the relay and with some tinkering it then engaged the PTO in the 'Normal' switch position. I only managed to get it to work once. I am thinking that the relay is toast.

I've read that the battery and make PTO clutch do funny things but my battery is good.

jspwrplc

Threads
Replace the relay. I ran into this same issue a year ago and the relay took care of it.

Canada_CT230

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you go to a Cub dealer or did you find it at an auto parts store.

The number on the relay appears to make it a generic relay.

jspwrplc

Threads
I went to my Cub Dealer who is a personal friend. However a regular relay will work, The one I replaced had smaller terminals than the normal relays I am use to using, but the wiring was the same. The schematics on mine were actually printed on the relay. We use alot of a generic relay kits at work to correct severial issues and it comes with its own harness.

Cubguy21

Forum Newbie
Threads
PTO relay is part number 925-1648 and runs about $25 at dealer.

Canada_CT230

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dealer has a new relay on the way from thier other store. The machine is under warranty still so I don't have to pay for it. I was surprised at the cost of a relay.

I tried sourcing at an autoparts store with no luck. Ebay appears to be a cheap alternative (saw $12 for 2 of them) just in case someone is out of warranty.

The part number above is a good number.

Canada_CT230

Forum Newbie
Threads
New relay installed. No dice! What the ****! What can this be now. New relay is clicking still. I've got the battery charger on the battery but I have my doubts as it starts very easy and reverse mow works.

UPDATE: Gave it an hour on the charger and nothing. Some more head banging...hmmmm....PTO gap?, PTO wiring?...safety switch!

Guess what. It is always the safety switches. My switch was all mashed up. Must have been the dealer when they tore it apart to replace a hydro.

Should have figured. When my big Bobcat tractor wouldn't start it was a safety switch also.

Last edited:

jet62095

Threads
I just joined the forum. I am also on the TractorByNet forums.

I have a 2007 Cub Cadet i1050 mower. I took it out for the first lawn cutting of the year today. I encountered a problem with the electric PTO.

I believe that I have isolated the problem but a confirmation would be nice.

Problem: I can not engage the PTO (blades) when in the 'Normal' position on the key switch. I can however engage the PTO (blades) when in the 'Reverse Mow' key switch position. I cut the grass in that position. I normally mow half the time in 'Reverse Mow' anyway.

When the tractor was not running, I turned the key switch to the 'Normal' position. I heard a constant clicking in the PTO relay. Go to the 'Reverse Mow' position and the clicking stops. I unplugged the relay and with some tinkering it then engaged the PTO in the 'Normal' switch position. I only managed to get it to work once. I am thinking that the relay is toast.

I've read that the battery and make PTO clutch do funny things but my battery is good.

Right on the Money!

Jet