24 hp Briggs & Stratton engine runs rough after restart

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 24 hp Briggs & Stratton engine runs rough after restart
josame, I see you have had the rider, so you know when it's right, and it used to cut the "deep" grass, right? Mine will cut deep grass and weeds (?10" +?), but I have to go slow. Your blades are sharp and no undue drag of the spindle bearings, Tires inflated. Also , of course , without the bagger system you can go faster and cut damp/wet grass. there is a rubber breather tube that runs from crankcase to intake down tube after air filter. At year two I discovere the factory had not fully engaged the annular rubber ring onto the down tube and it was sucking dirt. This connection is difficult to see. Try feeling it. This probably would not rob power, but only wear away the rings. Air filter is not choked with dirt?

Threads
I was able to get out yesterday and try out the mower, it started much easier and ran stronger, not bogging down in the higher grass. But when I turned it off and restarted it did the same thing ran rough and really bogged down in the deeper grass.

I am going to change the plugs, fuel filter and check the spark arrester and fuel lines next . Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far.

If it sat in the off season with fuel in the system you will have to clean the carb out too.

Threads
josame, I see you have had the rider, so you know when it's right, and it used to cut the "deep" grass, right? Mine will cut deep grass and weeds (?10" +?), but I have to go slow. Your blades are sharp and no undue drag of the spindle bearings, Tires inflated. Also , of course , without the bagger system you can go faster and cut damp/wet grass. there is a rubber breather tube that runs from crankcase to intake down tube after air filter. At year two I discovere the factory had not fully engaged the annular rubber ring onto the down tube and it was sucking dirt. This connection is difficult to see. Try feeling it. This probably would not rob power, but only wear away the rings. Air filter is not choked with dirt?

Yep mine did the same thing, and the carb was full of junk.

josame

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I did my usual spring maintenance, sharpening, cleaning air filter and greasing. Looks like I need to take a look at the carb. I went to buy a new fuel filter and while I was at the local power equipment shop I asked them if they had any idea and they told me to check the solenoid on the carb that is there to cut the flow of fuel to the carb when you turn off the ignition, since it runs good until I shut it off and the problem starts after the restart. I know I haven't ever cleaned the carb so I have a feeling that is where the problem is, probably cruddy and a stuck float. I will work on it this weekend. Thanks again for all the help, it sure is appreciated.

Threads
I was able to get out yesterday and try out the mower, it started much easier and ran stronger, not bogging down in the higher grass. But when I turned it off and restarted it did the same thing ran rough and really bogged down in the deeper grass.

I am going to change the plugs, fuel filter and check the spark arrester and fuel lines next . Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Clean out the carb, and make sure to get the jets cleaned out good.

josame

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it looks like I have it fixed. Cleaned out the carb and and it ran much better. There was a lot of junk in there but got it all out. Mowed last night and it ran good the whole time. Turned it off and restarted it and it continued to run good. Thanks to all that replied to my question. This is not a good time of year to have mower problems.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good. Sounds like main jet was perhaps partly clogged.