Craftsman push starts runs then stops after a few min. Wont start again until cools.

andrewbobsin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman push starts runs then stops after a few min. Wont start again until cools.
Model #917.370650 Self Propelled, 190cc, 6.75. Starts and runs beautifully for a few minutes then begins to die out. Won't start again until it cools. All this just while sitting and running, not actually mowing or under stress. Thank you for reading.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Craftsman push starts runs then stops after a few min. Wont start again until cools.
Check to see it you have spark when it dies. Sounds like you may have a coil which is shorting out when it gets warm. If no spark, I would replace the coil.

andrewbobsin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Rivet. I will check that out once this weather dries up.

MOmilkman

Threads
My mower 2009 24HP Model 917.28925 is doing the exact same as described above.
After it restarts does it run fine for as long as you need it to? Mine does.
Thats what really puzzles me.
Yesterday I ordered a Armeture Magneto for it and then got into it last night and realized theres two! Shoot.
I didn't check for spark first as mentioned above. I wish I would have.
Oh well, part is on its way so hopefully that is it. I will post back with the results.

MOmilkman

Threads
I should add, this is a lawn tractor.

andrewbobsin

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I got it going. I believe the carb was dirty but allowing enough fuel thru to run while the choke was closed but once the choke opened it was not enough fuel to compensate for the air mixture. Anyway... it's running great now. Thank you for the help. :smile:

Threads
So I got it going. I believe the carb was dirty but allowing enough fuel thru to run while the choke was closed but once the choke opened it was not enough fuel to compensate for the air mixture. Anyway... it's running great now. Thank you for the help. :smile:

Good to hear you got it running again.:thumbsup: