Toro Zero Turn just suddenly stopped!!!

twilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a commercial series Toro Zero Turn 60" deck that was running fine and then just suddenly stopped like you turned off the ignition. At first, I thought that's what it was, something accidently hit the ignition like a branch or piece of debris. This has been the culprit prior but this time, the key was fine. It didn't stop like it was running out of gas, this was abrupt, like shutting the mower off, the gas level is fine.

I know some models have the "Oil Minder" shut-off, but I checked the oil (It was a little low, but not bad), added oil but still no luck. Is there something you have to reset after adding oil? Also, somebody said the ignition system does have a fuse unit - does anybody know the location of this?

I'm well into the mowing season here and the mower has been working fine prior to this.... I'm stumped!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have the owners manual, it should give you the location for the fuses and a troubleshooting list.
The Toro web site will probably have the manual if you have model and serial numbers.

This sounds like safety switch or fuse to me - could also be a wire ws pulled free if you were going around trees or bushes.
I'd look at everything closely and see if you can spot the problem.

chance123

Threads
The plug on the PTO switch is notorious for vibrating off. With the engine "not" running and the key switch on, pull your PTO switch and listen for a click.

twilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
BKBrown, you were correct, but unfortunately it was a lot worse than the connection.

The wiring & connection got snagged into the clutch/pulley!!!! The mower stopped suddenly because the wiring getting tangled (short circuiting) blew the 20 amp blade fuse, and the clutch was ruined with wiring grinding into the assembly!!! I was no where near any shrubbery or trees when it happened.

I replaced the clutch (out two hundred plus bucks) but the big thing is I re-routed the wiring away from the belt area - Hey engineers at Toro - What were you thinking???!!! The mower is working fine now but I'm kind of ticked off at Toro engineers for routing the wiring so close to the belt/pulley/clutch.

The local Toro dealer just smiled when I picked up the brand new clutch, like he knew exactly what happened!!!!

chance123

Threads
BKBrown, you were correct, but unfortunately it was a lot worse than the connection.

The wiring & connection got snagged into the clutch/pulley!!!! The mower stopped suddenly because the wiring getting tangled (short circuiting) blew the 20 amp blade fuse, and the clutch was ruined with wiring grinding into the assembly!!! I was no where near any shrubbery or trees when it happened.

I replaced the clutch (out two hundred plus bucks) but the big thing is I re-routed the wiring away from the belt area - Hey engineers at Toro - What were you thinking???!!! The mower is working fine now but I'm kind of ticked off at Toro engineers for routing the wiring so close to the belt/pulley/clutch.

The local Toro dealer just smiled when I picked up the brand new clutch, like he knew exactly what happened!!!!

I see this a lot. Many times you can save the clutch because some of these Warner clutches have spade terminals where you can make your own wires and connection. If your clutch wires are hard wired into the clutch housing, it's next to impossible to repair.
I always put a zip tie around the wire and frame to keep the wires clear of the pulley. Also make sure that the bracket (clutch to frame) that keeps the clutch from spinning is tight.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems to be common now for some companies to do what is easiest and not what is best.
I'm glad you found the problem, but sorry it was because of poor placement and lack of thinking and caring on the part of Toro.

If Toro has any integrity --- they might do something about the problem and help you pay for the parts.

It is a good idea with any new equipment to check everything and do some preventative work ---
people at most factories are not encouraged to think anymore (if they are capable of problem solving). :rolleyes:

olbarndoor

Forum Newbie
Threads
The plug on the PTO switch is notorious for vibrating off. With the engine "not" running and the key switch on, pull your PTO switch and listen for a click.
i tried that and there is no click -- the pto switch was still connected -but my center 20 amp fuse had 1 blade broke off -- but now my whole machine is dead. I swapped out all 3 fuses and charged my battery and still get nothing -- could it be a bad PTO switch -- i dont know of anything but that if while i am mowing the engine shuts down like a light switch going off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With due respect Mr Barn Door,
Please start with exactly what happened to your mower and what you were doing at the time if you are going to slip a new problem into an old thread.
It would be a lot easier for people to help you if you started a brand new thread as they will not confuse what you are doing with the previous problem which was solved.

If you are blowing fuses almost as soon as they go in you could have a different problem.
If you mower starts & runs fine till you engage the blades then this is different as well.