Old Murray Abnormal Idle

carl22

Threads
My sister has an old Murray push mower. It'll idle high, then low, then high and so on. It'll do that for about five minutes, then shuts off and you have to add fuel to the carb to get it going again. What would you say is wrong with it? I say it's a bad carburetor.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
What would you say is wrong with it? I say it's a bad carburetor.

Not necessarily bad but most likely fouled up with sludge/gunk ... There is most likely a carb mounted to the top of the gas tank... remove it, clean it up and be sure to clean the fuel pump diaphragm and needle valve passages *... should run great then....

* see this site... Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
Find your carb picture , and it will step you through the process, easy to do... :smile:KennyV

junebug1701

Threads
You can go to Lowe's and buy a little diaphragm kit for those Briggs carbs for about 3 bucks. Solves about 90% of the running/starting problems with that motor.

carl22

Threads
Thanks Kenny, those diagrams are great. I'll see what I can do to her mower next time I go to visit her. And junebug, I might do that as well. Sometimes it's better to replace parts than take all day fooling with them. Thanks guys.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thread has been moved to the newly opened, Murray Forum. :smile: