Mower won't shut off

fkbsar

Forum Newbie
Threads
First of all I'd like to apologize for my ignorance of terminology and thank you for your help. I have two mowers. The one I use most is a Toro Personal Pace - not the newer one. One day last summer I was mowing and the cable (not the pull cord) but the one on the same side got hung on a nail without me realizing it had happened. The mower starts perfectly but when you release the safety handle it continues to run. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the spark plug. The wire that got caught running from the safety handle and down to something near the engine looks slack but I don't know how to fix it or if I just need to buy another cable. TIA. I bow down to your knowledge.

DaveTN

Threads
That cable does two things. One is it has a friction brake on it that clamps down on the flywheel and acts much like a brake on a car when you release the handle. At the same time it hits the kill switch and grounds out the magneto, killing the spark to the engine. Most likely what you've done is pulled it out, or bent the bracket holding it to the engine. Remove the recoil / starter cover and you can see better what the problem is. Most likely something either bent, or pulled out of line. Hope this helps. Dave