Husqvarna 24V48LS Locking Differential vs Husqvarna 26V48LS Ground Engaging

jrd46

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna 24V48LS Locking Differential vs Husqvarna 26V48LS Ground Engaging
I've been looking for a Garden Tractor for mowing, snowblowing (important use) and various yard maintenance duties (landscape rake, sweeping, dethaching, general cleanup. I have a sloped lawn and laneway and the Husqvarna 24V48LS is interesting because it has a Hydrostatic Transmission with locking differential .The problem is that this unit does not have rear tires large enough to classify it as a Garden tractor and cannot accept a sleeve hitch.
The other unit I was checking was the 26V48LS. It has 23" rear tires and would accept a sleeve hitch but the transmission is described as Hydrostatic, Ground Engaging. They do not say if this means with a locking differential.
Does anyone know what they mean by Ground Engaging?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ground Engaging is plowing or any attachment that disrupts the soil... you would need a bit more robust gear train to stand up to constant load caused by that activity... A heavy gear box could feed an axle drive that tis locking OR non locking...
Snow and ice removal could also indicate a need for a better built gear box.
Topical lawn mower gear box is built strong enough to keep a mower rolling without any additional drag load, a light gear box could also feed either a locking axle or non locking. KennyV

jrd46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny - Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. I guess I was looking at locking differential as being the most critical element and forgetting about the importance of the overall strength of the gearbox.
I haven't seen any lawn or yard tractors spec'd with a locking differential before spotting the Husqvarna. Usually don't see it until you get into the JD X500 select series and other pricier units.
Jim

handirifle

Threads
I'm glad I read this thread, cause I had overlooked the same thing. I have a section that gets and stays pretty wet for several months, and a limited slip rear, just lets one tire spin.

My dream mower is a Kubota BX23, 4x4, with belly mower, but 17K is too much to justify. Now if I could just find a used one for real cheap.....say 6K I might be able to swing that, somehow.

dbdreams

Forum Newbie
Threads
I too am interested in the locking differential rear end. I currently own a John Deere L120 but it doesn't do well on the hill in my back yard. Actually when it was new it did a little better but now it ain't cutting it, literally. I am looking at the Husqvarna YTH 22V46XLS but the salesman I spoke to didn't' really satisfy my curiosity about how it worked. I also looked the the John Deere X500 which is nice but at a $5000 premium. The X500 has a foot pedal on the left floor board that you press when you need it. The salesman said he thought the Husqvarna automatically engaged when it was needed but didn't really know how it worked. If anyone can clarify this it would be much appreciated.

fastback

Threads
You need to look at the entire nomenclature on the tractors. The garden tractor's have the GTH in front of the engine horse power. I believe that the garden tractors do not have locking differentials. The lighter tractors have the locking wheels, but the differential is lighter duty One of the models is sold at Lowes as a garden trator, but is just a yard tractor. You can tell because it will have the larger tires in the rear (12 -inch) but will not have lug nuts.

It comes down to what are you looking for. If you want a tractor that will last longer and can do some rough work than the gt is the way to go. If all you intend to do is cut grass then the yard tractor may be ok. But when you come down to it unless you have 4 x 4, neither will measure up.

Just another opinion..

Threads
The auto-locking differential in the K46CR is made by Hilliard. You can Google for details on it. It's an expensive subassembly and not interchangeable with ordinary differentials.

I have one. It's a mixed blessing. I have lots of hills, tree roots, and slippery spots such as decaying leaves under trees. The locking differential works like a champ under those conditions. I have never once been stopped with a spinning drive wheel.

OTOH, it has a nasty quirk. Since it's not a real differential, it drives the inner wheel on turns. Now think about that. The INNER wheel. Yep. It prevents tight turns. It tears up the turf under the inner wheel if you try. Consequently, you can forget about 12" uncut radii. You will learn to make K-turns, especially when operating on slopes.

Would I buy this again? With the conditions on my property.... yeah. The benefits outweigh the limitations, but most definitely YMMV. If you're the type who likes to run tight circles around your trees, this probably isn't for you. If you have a lot of slippery bumpy spots like I do, it's worth the annoyances.

Countryboy69

Threads
The limited slip is like a car/truck limited slip. Will work well for most conditions and is fully automatic. But it is paired with a weak hydrostat. The tuff torq 46. The locking diff locks when you push down a pedal on the left side footwell. And is paired with a tuff torq k66. About 2 times as powerful as the k46. I think the locking diff with the stronger hydrostat would be better for the hills and snow blowing that you want to do. It is the same diff as the John Deere 500 series for about 1500 dollars less. I'm also looking at husqvarna as well. Seems very good for the price. Like getting a John Deere 500 series at 300 series prices. I'm thinking of the gth26v52 with the Kawasaki motor and hydrogear g630 hydrostat. No locker in it though.

Threads
I'm glad I read this thread, cause I had overlooked the same thing. I have a section that gets and stays pretty wet for several months, and a limited slip rear, just lets one tire spin.

My dream mower is a Kubota BX23, 4x4, with belly mower, but 17K is too much to justify. Now if I could just find a used one for real cheap.....say 6K I might be able to swing that, somehow.

I had the same problem with the wet lawn, and went with the carlisle super lugs they get really good traction.