briggs and stratton mower wont start

mlws

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two mowers with the same problem. 27 horse power briggs and stratton. It just stopped running when cutting deep grass. When trying to restart it, its pops through the intake. If it starts it pops loud, no power. The 22 horse briggs and stratton engine does the same thing. Was cutting deep grass and it quit. Tried to restart just makes a popping sound. When taken a compression check one cyl is 120 the other 90. When I check the compression on the one cyl it blows a rag out the intake, that I had to cover it. I looked at the keyway on the flywheel on the 22 hp and it appears to not have moved. I thought possible timing is off. Nothing underside of mower to stop it from turning. Any ideas

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the valve covers off. I bet a valve guide has moved, and bent a push rod, most likely the exhaust valve, which will cause popping back through the intake. If the valve guide has moved you will need to replace the head, as well as the push rod that is bent, or broke.

Threads
I have two mowers with the same problem. 27 horse power briggs and stratton. It just stopped running when cutting deep grass. When trying to restart it, its pops through the intake. If it starts it pops loud, no power. The 22 horse briggs and stratton engine does the same thing. Was cutting deep grass and it quit. Tried to restart just makes a popping sound. When taken a compression check one cyl is 120 the other 90. When I check the compression on the one cyl it blows a rag out the intake, that I had to cover it. I looked at the keyway on the flywheel on the 22 hp and it appears to not have moved. I thought possible timing is off. Nothing underside of mower to stop it from turning. Any ideas

Are you sure its a Briggs? They made a 26hp, and Kohler made the 27hp. You have a valve push rod loose, or bent remove the left valve cover, and check the rods there first.