Repairs Craftsman lawn tractor transmissioon suddenly has big problem

ramone899

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman lawn tractor transmissioon suddenly has big problem
Hi all. I bought a new Craftsman tractor (model 917.28921) 3.5 years ago. It's been working flawlessly until 2 days ago when the trans. suddenly lost reverse, and putting the trans. in neutral causes the tractor to move forward.

So far I haven't found any obvious problems under the tractor. Has anyone had this happen to them? Sears is not interested in doing anything about it since the warranty expired after 2 years. But a transmission breakdown in less than 4 years?

I had an older craftsman tractor that I used for almost 17 years without a problem.

Thanks for any info.

marcs odd jobs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you know what transmission it has or is it the Peerless Transaxle it might be one of the many spur gears have worn out.
if your not the only one using it then you might want to look into a possible BENT shifter shaft.

ramone899

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for reply, marc odd jobs. Best I know the tractor has a hydraulic 6 speed transaxle. The trans looks to be a sealed unit. How would I be able to check for any problems? The forward speeds all work.

thanks.

marcs odd jobs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look under the wheel well and look for were the shifter linkages are and follow them to see if they might be hitting on obstacles.
If you have to try to manually put it in reverse with the linkage off if that all fails it most likely is internal and the trans axle isnt an easy thing to rebuild by joe homeowner

PS: Put the tractor on jack stands so you dont get hurt..

Team Odd Jobs