Apparent Fuel Flow Issue Post Fuel Filter/Line Change

jason78

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Apparent Fuel Flow Issue Post Fuel Filter/Line Change
I just changed out the fuel line and fuel filter on my Gravely ZT2148XL with a Kohler CV23S-75579. It starts and runs OK but when you do a quick take off or engage the blades, it "boggs" down the engine for a second then it recovers. I did some testing and was not able to stall it out but came close. The mower is fairly new to me but I don't recall this happening before the change or I think I would have noticed.

I went to my Kohler dealer and was sold a Kohler 24 050 13-S Fuel Filter and some 1/4" fuel line. This filter was quite a bit larger than the stock one (ITW Fastex) on the mower and a completely different design. I read another post suggesting this engine should have 1/2" line but seem to be having trouble validating that. The stock line Gravely used was 1/4".

Since this seems like a fuel flow issue, does anyone know if there have been known issues with this Kohler filter? The ITW Fastex appears to be a rather expensive filter. Is there a logical reason Gravely would have installed the ITW filter as opposed to another type? Just a little confused here.

Any help appreciated! Thanks Jason

jason78

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just changed out the fuel line and fuel filter on my Gravely ZT2148XL with a Kohler CV23S-75579. It starts and runs OK but when you do a quick take off or engage the blades, it "boggs" down the engine for a second then it recovers. I did some testing and was not able to stall it out but came close. The mower is fairly new to me but I don't recall this happening before the change or I think I would have noticed.

I went to my Kohler dealer and was sold a Kohler 24 050 13-S Fuel Filter and some 1/4" fuel line. This filter was quite a bit larger than the stock one (ITW Fastex) on the mower and a completely different design. I read another post suggesting this engine should have 1/2" line but seem to be having trouble validating that. The stock line Gravely used was 1/4".

Since this seems like a fuel flow issue, does anyone know if there have been known issues with this Kohler filter? The ITW Fastex appears to be a rather expensive filter. Is there a logical reason Gravely would have installed the ITW filter as opposed to another type? Just a little confused here.

Any help appreciated! Thanks Jason

Upon further investigation, it appears this new Kohler Fuel Filter is 15 micron. Not sure what the stock one was but will try to find out. This is the filter called for by the Kohler website. Just wondering if it may be too restrictive. I *think* this model has a fuel pump. Can't believe the pump would have diminished capacity at only 75 hours but then again, it is 9 years old.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of the Kohler carbs have an accelerator pump on the carb to help fix some of the sudden load issue. I haven't looked to see if your engine has one or not, But if it does it could be getting weak. I have a customer with a Poulan Pro 48" with a command 20 without the pump, and it will kill the engine if you engage the blades about 1/2 throttle, but below half or even at idle you are fine.