Repairs Clutch won't engage

bhalm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Snapper series 4 model PL7H1604BV. Measured 7.0 volts DC to ground at the BBC switch. When switch is turn on voltage drops to zero with engine running (no battery on this model). I have replaced the altenator and regulator, no help. I was told that the clutch was replaced. Any body have any suggestions?

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the Forum...

What is a BBC switch??? KennyV

bhalm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
BBC switch is the 'Blade Brake Clutch" switch. It serves two functions that I know of: 1 - in the off postion it allows the engine to start. 2 - in the on position it allows the clutch to engage when the engine is running (no battery on this model). In my case the clutch does not engage, trying to find out why. Thanks for asking - Bill

bhalm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
B & S 16hp twin, model 3303776, type 0346-02, code 94111711

minkyung

Threads
I'm dumb about engines :laughing: but did you say that your engine has no battery? I am confused. This is the first time I hear of an engine without a battery.

Thank you in advance for helping me understand.

bhalm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gets its voltage/current from the altenator/rectifier combination once the engine is started, no electric start here.

Threads
B & S 16hp twin, model 3303776, type 0346-02, code 94111711

I assume you meant model 303776. Alternators are identified by the color of the connector and the wire coming from alternator. What are your colors? You also mentioned changing the regulator? Regulators are only used for electric start engines otherwise diodes are installed in harness for running external devices such as electric clutches. Anyway let's figure out which alternator you have so we can test it the correct way. We will get you going again so don't worry

bhalm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your response and help.

The wire from the alternator is black and the connector is green.

The Snapper was brought to my shop after the clutch was replaced, some of the connectors showed signs of excessive heat and the connector on the old clutch was melted.

As far as the regulator is concern we just replaced what was already bolted to the engine cover. The parts list shows the same alternator for both the diode and the regulator types.

The engine is a 1994 and all the documentation I was able to locate so far is for 1995 and later models including the schematics.

Bill

Threads
Thanks for your response and help.

The wire from the alternator is black and the connector is green.

The Snapper was brought to my shop after the clutch was replaced, some of the connectors showed signs of excessive heat and the connector on the old clutch was melted.

As far as the regulator is concern we just replaced what was already bolted to the engine cover. The parts list shows the same alternator for both the diode and the regulator types.

The engine is a 1994 and all the documentation I was able to locate so far is for 1995 and later models including the schematics.

Bill
OK YOU HAVE A TRI CIRCUIT ALTERNATOR. IT SHOULD PLUG INTO A PIGTAIL WITH 2 DIODES IN HARNESS AND 2 WIRES COMING OUT A RED WIRE AND A BLACK WIRE. THE RED WIRE IS TO RUN ELECTRIC PTO. THE BLACK WIRE IS TO RUN LIGHTS. TO CHECK ALTERNATOR UNPLUG AT THE GREEN CONNECTOR. CHECK WITH METER SET AT AC VOLTAGE (NOT DC) PUT RED TEST LEAD IN GREEN CONNECTOR AND BLACK TEST LEAD TO GROUND. WITH ENGINE RUNNING AT 3600 RPM YOU SHOULD 28 VOLTS OR MORE SHOWING ON METER. NOW ABOUT THIS REGULATOR. IF IT A SQUARE BOX WITH A YELLOW WIRE CONNECTING TO ALTERNATOR IT WILL NOT LET CHARGING SYSTEM WORK BECAUSE IT HAS TO HAVE A BATTERY CONNECTED TO IT WITH AT LEAST 5 VOLTS IN BATTERY TO ENERGIZE IT. SO IF THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE YOU NEED TO ORDER P/N 398661 FROM YOUR BRIGGS SUPPLIER. THIS IS THE DIODE PIGTAIL AND DO AWAY WITH YOUR REGULATOR.