Review: Big Dog R Series Powerbar 754

Old Goat

Threads
Just got off that Big Dog cutting the 2.3 acres for the second time.

No wonder they named it that! The rest need to stay on the porch!

1.5 hours and used only about 1.5 gallons of fuel. I'm getting better and more impressed with each use!

The neighbor cut his yesterday with their Toro and the cut quality of the two yards is very markedly different. Both cut within 24 hrs of each other, 1 1/2 weeks ago and today. I only passed over mine ONCE. Mine is closest, theirs is full of hay, see below.

What a piece of junk, http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner.../pages/model.aspx?pid=timecutter-ss5000-74631

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN0012.jpg
    DSCN0012.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 32

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just got off that Big Dog cutting the 2.3 acres for the second time.

No wonder they named it that! The rest need to stay on the porch!

1.5 hours and used only about 1.5 gallons of fuel. I'm getting better and more impressed with each use!

The neighbor cut his yesterday with their Toro and the cut quality of the two yards is very markedly different. Both cut within 24 hrs of each other, 1 1/2 weeks ago and today. I only passed over mine ONCE. Mine is closest, theirs is full of hay, see below.

What a piece of junk, http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner.../pages/model.aspx?pid=timecutter-ss5000-74631

Charles

Old Goat,
That's why I never recommend the Toro TimeCutters sold in big box stores. Stamped deckand wash ports on that 5000 model......you may as well have a lawn tractor. Now the high-end Residential Toro Titan(ZX & MX series)....those are near-Commercial quality ZTR's and I "considered" the Titan MX5480($5300 MSRP for a 2012 when I was looking) and also the Toro Commercial Z-Master 2000 series($6100 MSRP for a 2012 52") which are even nicer(with the TurboForce decks) than the Titan. When you get into the Z-Master 3000, 5000, 6000 or 7000 Commercial ZTR series those are some fine grass-cutting monsters.

RatRacer

Threads
Admin-
There is a time limit for editing their own thread/OP for updates?

Update-
The Big Dog has been returned to the dealer, and I have been fully refunded on 5/7/13

I liked the mower overall, as far as design and construction go, and spec-wise, it ticked all my desired boxes.
There were couple issues had concerning this purchase:
  1. 1- The throttle design on this particular design of mower turned out to be something that needs to be better designed. The throttle (actually a hydro-static speed forward/reverse control, not fuel), would not return to neutral position when released, making you have to manually turn it back to slow down/stop.
  2. 2- Full forward/reverse required more rotation of the handle beyond a persons natural wrist rotation range, requiring you to let go and re-grip to get to full forward/reverse, making item 1 above loads of fun if you need to do a sudden slow down/stop.
  3. 3- My salesperson turned out to be a vinegar & water feminine hygiene product.
    During haggling, I switched up negotiations from being financed to a straight up cash price. I asked him to write down the final purchase price on a piece of paper, and I would have the wife get me a stack of Benjamin's. Well, we came to an agreement and I dropped it off payment on the way home from work, but he was not there, so a co-worker accepted it. So I called Friday to say I was stopping by to pick up the invoice and and all the manual stuff that they had still. He tells me that he needs an additional $322 to cover sales tax. I flipped and asked why he didn't include that in his written figure, since I was having to withdraw a large sum of cash for this buy? He says it slipped his mind, because of all the stress he was going thru during his business's ONGOING TAX AUDIT. I told him that was all I would pay, and either figure a way to make it work (I offered an out of state purchase option, Dad has same name in NJ) or come and get it. He took option B.

Now, I am awaiting the arrival of my Husqvarna M-ZT 52.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Admin-

Update-
The Big Dog has been returned to the dealer, and I have been fully refunded on 5/7/13

I liked the mower overall, as far as design and construction go, and spec-wise, it ticked all my desired boxes.
  1. 1- The throttle design on this particular design of mower turned out to be something that needs to be better designed. The throttle (actually a hydro-static speed forward/reverse control, not fuel), would not return to neutral position when released, making you have to manually turn it back to slow down/stop.
  2. 2- Full forward/reverse required more rotation of the handle beyond a persons natural wrist rotation range, requiring you to let go and re-grip to get to full forward/reverse, making item 1 above loads of fun if you need to do a sudden slow down/stop.
  3. 3- My salesperson turned out to be a vinegar & water feminine hygiene product.
    During haggling, I switched up negotiations from being financed to a straight up cash price. I asked him to write down the final purchase price on a piece of paper, and I would have the wife get me a stack of Benjamin's. Well, we came to an agreement and I dropped it off payment on the way home from work, but he was not there, so a co-worker accepted it. So I called Friday to say I was stopping by to pick up the invoice and and all the manual stuff that they had still. He tells me that he needs an additional $322 to cover sales tax. I flipped and asked why he didn't include that in his written figure, since I was having to withdraw a large sum of cash for this buy? He says it slipped his mind, because of all the stress he was going thru during his business's ONGOING TAX AUDIT. I told him that was all I would pay, and either figure a way to make it work (I offered an out of state purchase option, Dad has same name in NJ) or come and get it. He took option B.

RatRacer,
Well I guess that answers my question about your avatar!!!!!!:0)
PLEASE, post an honest owner experience(and what else would we expect from you?:0) about the Husqvarna M-ZT 52!!! I have recommended that ZTR for the price to several users and I had looked at the Husqvarna 5225 last fall(but it fell short of my "Commercial quality" expectations). I did, however make an offer on a Dixon DX152 ZTR and since Husqvarna bought Dixon and the "new model" MZ-ZT 52 looks suspiciously like the Dixon(along with the similar build & features) I'm very curious as to whether my recommendations of the M-ZT 52 are spot on. I do recall one forum user that has a M-ZT 52 and had only good things to say about it. Sooooo....post some picks and give some owner feedback!!!!

P.S.
I also remain somewhat "skeptical" of the Powerbar, Joystick and Steering Wheel type ZTR's:0)

Last edited:

RatRacer

Threads
DJ-
It was one of your recommendations that had put it on my radar, and spurred me into looking at it deeper, when this deal started heading south. None of my local dealers had any in stock, but after an expanded search, I found some inventory 60 miles from me. I took a long lunch the other day and went and took a test ride at a dealer. It is a awesome mower, and for how it's equipped, it will give their PZT line a bit of a hit. My repair guy says not to fret on the Endurance motor, and he'll keep it right as rain, or he'll swap it out for me.

And it's ORANGE!

Attachments

• PC150002-1WEB.jpg
    PC150002-1WEB.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 10

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
DJ-
It was one of your recommendations that had put it on my radar, and spurred me into looking at it deeper, when this deal started heading south. None of my local dealers had any in stock, but after an expanded search, I found some inventory 60 miles from me. I took a long lunch the other day and went and took a test ride at a dealer. It is a awesome mower, and for how it's equipped, it will give their PZT line a bit of a hit. My repair guy says not to fret on the Endurance motor, and he'll keep it right as rain, or he'll swap it out for me.

And it's ORANGE!

RatRacer,
Well, I wanted to buy a red Porsche to match my Gravely, but the Financial Advisor(aka, the wife) said no way:0)
I did, however, in 1999 ordered a 18' Sprint Fish & Ski boat to be built by the manufacturer to match my green 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71....but my wife is the one that MADE ME buy the boat:0) She loves to fish more than I do(what a blessing:0)

P.S.
When I was looking the P-ZT's were more than I wanted to spend, but I definitely would have considered the M-ZT 52 if it had been available then!!!

RatRacer

Threads
P.S.
I also remain somewhat "skeptical" of the Powerbar, Joystick and Steering Wheel type ZTR's:0)

The CC Z-Force S is hands down the best implementation of this type of steering for a ZTR, for somebody upgrading from a tractor to a ZTR. It is totally intuitive by having the forward & reverse in a pedal format, vs. the handgrip style of the Powerbar. The other snafu is, that to fully utilize ZTR on this platform, you need to slow your forward speed down to a crawl. Higher speeds will give the same turning radius as if using a tractor, unlike using sticks can. (personally observed by use)

Threads
Admin-

Update-

Yes, there is a time limit that you can edit your posts.

I, too, was wondering what happened to your avatar! I'm sure you will be happy with the Husqvarna...it looks nice!

TnBikerGal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since there is no BD sub-forum (yet), here it shall reside.

In my new ZTR quest , and it be where the steering component is more of a wife friendly design, I came across 2 designs that have met my criteria, in combination with ZT-3XXX trans and KW engine, the BD Powerbar and CC Z-force S.

Luckily, the closest dealer to me is a Hustler and BD dealer, he has graciously let me trial the Powerbar this weekend to see if he could close the deal.
Since this a unique mower, I figured I'd break out the camera and give you the nickel tour.

The unit in question:
P4270007-17.jpg

Since it arrived somewhat dirty, so I didn't have to worry about getting it that way......
P4270007-12.jpg

It steers and throttles like a motor-cycle....... hmmmm, will ape hangers work?
P4270007-13.jpg

Control panel. Hour meter is mounted below, down the side of the tank.
P4270007-16.jpg

She's a wide ride, with junk in the trunk.
P4270007-15.jpg

P4270007-14.jpg

It has great forward speed. It allowed me to do my yard in 32 minutes, with first time jitters use and not actually being the owner yet. I'm happy with the results. The only snafu right now is using reverse. I feel like a special needs person, because it's like total bass ackwards to normal use. Control is really responsive, like quick steering ratio, and is really one handed use friendly.
To the playground:
East side, wife likes circles:rolleyes:
P4270007-18.jpg

North side, 10ー slope
P4270007-112.jpg

P4270007-110.jpg

West side, with the dreaded swale from hell, and all its 30ー glory.
P4270007-111.jpg

And finally, the South side. This swale is more user friendly, with up and down mowing without any scalping.
e47a7df7-2d2b-4d50-b656-cb311604dc9a.jpg

P4270007-19.jpg

This has been a ztr noob report. Let me know if you would like any further pics of particular areas.

Steve

Steve,

You had me with "ape hangers"! One of our main concerns with purchasing a zero turn mower is how it handles on a steep hill. I know you posted pictures, but for some reason, they aren't viewable for me.

We have 6 acres, 4 1/2 to mow. Most is on a slope (the old riding mower chugs along, but is not happy about it) but about an acre of it is a really steep slope. We hired someone to do the yard last season and is big club cadet handled it, but did not love it.

My husband is chomping at the bit wanting a tractor rather than a zero turn...hey, who wouldn't, but I'm the practical one. I'm also the one who maintains the yard.

So, all that said.....would you're Big Dog handle my yard?

Tracie

t