Review: Big Dog R Series Powerbar 754

RatRacer

Threads
Since there is no BD sub-forum (yet), here it shall reside.

In my new ZTR quest , and it be where the steering component is more of a wife friendly design, I came across 2 designs that have met my criteria, in combination with ZT-3XXX trans and KW engine, the BD Powerbar and CC Z-force S.

Luckily, the closest dealer to me is a Hustler and BD dealer, he has graciously let me trial the Powerbar this weekend to see if he could close the deal.
Since this a unique mower, I figured I'd break out the camera and give you the nickel tour.

The unit in question:
P4270007-17.jpg

Since it arrived somewhat dirty, so I didn't have to worry about getting it that way......
P4270007-12.jpg

It steers and throttles like a motor-cycle....... hmmmm, will ape hangers work?
P4270007-13.jpg

Control panel. Hour meter is mounted below, down the side of the tank.
P4270007-16.jpg

She's a wide ride, with junk in the trunk.
P4270007-15.jpg

P4270007-14.jpg

It has great forward speed. It allowed me to do my yard in 32 minutes, with first time jitters use and not actually being the owner yet. I'm happy with the results. The only snafu right now is using reverse. I feel like a special needs person, because it's like total bass ackwards to normal use. Control is really responsive, like quick steering ratio, and is really one handed use friendly.
To the playground:
East side, wife likes circles:rolleyes:
P4270007-18.jpg

North side, 10ー slope
P4270007-112.jpg

P4270007-110.jpg

West side, with the dreaded swale from hell, and all its 30ー glory.
P4270007-111.jpg

And finally, the South side. This swale is more user friendly, with up and down mowing without any scalping.
e47a7df7-2d2b-4d50-b656-cb311604dc9a.jpg

P4270007-19.jpg

This has been a ztr noob report. Let me know if you would like any further pics of particular areas.

Steve

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
RatRacer,

VERRRRYYY interesting(BTW, nice lookin' Chevy's:0). My one-and-only concern if I were buying(knowing I want "Commercial" quality/durability) is the FR series Kawasaki(Residential rating). Can you get an engine upgrade to the Kawa FS(Heavy Duty) series or FX(Commercial) series...my preference??? And what kind of OTD(Out-The-Door) money is the dealer talking about on this? No doubt, though a nice looking high-end Residential mower(with a fine-looking cut).

P.S.
How many "total" anti-scalp wheels does the deck have??? From the front view looks like one on left(from rider view) and a nose roller, but none on the right(chute) side...kinda unusual. Are there any on the rear of the deck?? They also are braced with a single L-angle brace. On my Gravely there is a dual nose roller and one on each side of the front(double, not single angle iron bracing). See attached picture for what I am referring to about the anti-scalp wheels. It also has two rollers in the back on the inside of the deck. Of course there doesn't appear to be any indications of scalping in your pictures.

Attachments

• DSC03308.jpg
    DSC03308.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 30

Old Goat

Threads
RatRacer,

I bet you are impressed. I wanted to try one of those, but the wife said no when she sat on it, so I walked away.
We got the one with the regular handles and seemed to get adjusted to it rather quickly. She was quicker than I was!

Yours has the same engine and other hardware mine has, it's quite a stout machine. AND it matches your Camaro! You sure have a lot of swales on your lot, but the BD looks to have handled them OK. How about those 12" wide rear tires? I get real good traction from them.

I too was wondering about the deck not having a scalp wheel on the RH side and have found that it not an issue at all, in fact none of the other wheels seem to ever touch the ground. I don't have nearly as many swales as you have.

I also like being able to set the deck height in 1/4" increments, many others are only 1/2" settings.

Charles

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

SCMCG,
I checked that out and there is a forum user that owns a Country Clipper that really likes it. The flip-up deck design is nice, but when I look at their entry level Commercial model(Jazee_Pro_DLX) on their website I find a ZT-3100 tranny(even though "serviceable", my Gravely entry level Commercial came with the ZT-3400....considered "commercial" quality). Also, the weight of that Country Clipper 60"(837 lbs) seems kinda light when compared to the 1,055 lbs of my 52". The 8mph and 4 gal gas tank capacity(compared to my 10mph and 9.5 gal capacity) are other things I would have "compared the Country Clipper to the Gravely on". Now I may need to be comparing the Country Clipper "Charger" series models to my Gravely, but without any pricing on the Country Clipper website I can't really be sure. I'm simply comparing "entry level Commercial" to "entry level Commercial" for those two brands and that's why I always emphasize to users shopping to make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples across different brands. Somehow, I think the "Charger" may be a model to compare to my Gravely Pro-Turn but since I'm not looking to buy I'm not going to contact a Country Clipper dealer to get a price and make sure I am comparing similar models. Hope this helps!!

SCMCG

Threads
dj-- Actually there is a new line that isn't on the website yet-EdgeXLT that I am looking at. It is their top of the line residential model and has only the ZT2800 hydros, but does have a pivoting front axle and the Kawi motor. I am comparing it to the Gravely ZT52HD which is also the top end resoidential mower which has the ZT3100 hydros and also the Kawi motor. I will mow approx. 70-80 hours per year and pretty rough terrain as far as yards go.

RatRacer

Threads
RatRacer,

VERRRRYYY interesting(BTW, nice lookin' Chevy's:0). My one-and-only concern if I were buying(knowing I want "Commercial" quality/durability) is the FR series Kawasaki(Residential rating). Can you get an engine upgrade to the Kawa FS(Heavy Duty) series or FX(Commercial) series...my preference??? And what kind of OTD(Out-The-Door) money is the dealer talking about on this? No doubt, though a nice looking high-end Residential mower(with a fine-looking cut).

When it comes to budget, you go for the most "want" items after the " must need" items has been met. Being over-informed has a tendency to make folks over buy (which I am already doing) to the point of obsession, second guessing, then obsessing some more. The FR motor is adequate, and then some, for the same task that I've asked my 17.5hp Kohler Commander to do for the last 9 years, and could probably do 9 more for its condition. But I want more........

P.S.
How many "total" anti-scalp wheels does the deck have??? From the front view looks like one on left(from rider view) and a nose roller, but none on the right(chute) side...kinda unusual. Are there any on the rear of the deck?? They also are braced with a single L-angle brace. On my Gravely there is a dual nose roller and one on each side of the front(double, not single angle iron bracing). See attached picture for what I am referring to about the anti-scalp wheels. It also has two rollers in the back on the inside of the deck. Of course there doesn't appear to be any indications of scalping in your pictures.

Only 2, but they work well.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
dj-- Actually there is a new line that isn't on the website yet-EdgeXLT that I am looking at. It is their top of the line residential model and has only the ZT2800 hydros, but does have a pivoting front axle and the Kawi motor. I am comparing it to the Gravely ZT52HD which is also the top end resoidential mower which has the ZT3100 hydros and also the Kawi motor. I will mow approx. 70-80 hours per year and pretty rough terrain as far as yards go.

SCMCG,

Sounds like you are comparing apples-to-apples and that's what's important!!! I think for your needs you are practicing due diligence on what it will take to do the job.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it comes to budget, you go for the most "want" items after the " must need" items has been met. Being over-informed has a tendency to make folks over buy (which I am already doing) to the point of obsession, second guessing, then obsessing some more. The FR motor is adequate, and then some, for the same task that I've asked my 17.5hp Kohler Commander to do for the last 9 years, and could probably do 9 more for its condition. But I want more........

Only 2, but they work well.

RatRacer,
Only you can decide what machine "meets your needs" and by no means am I discouraging the Big Dog purchase(after all, they ARE built by Hustler who got the highest overall rating by their dealership network over ALL the other Outodoor Power Equipment manufacturers....even the infamous Scag, Grasshopper and other big names). And when it comes to over buying I'm VERY guilty of that(with 1.5 acres of mostly flat lawn a 52" Commercial ZTR is a wee bit of overkill:0) I had the money available now, am fixing to retire and wanted something that would be relatively problem free for the rest of my life. So I "intentionally" over-bought what I "needed". Besides, my 6-year-old grandson will look real good on my Gravely when his dad hands it down to him:0)

RatRacer

Threads

Yeah, I looked at those. The detracter was going straight and turning with one hand. I drink (gatorade)and drive whilst mowing.:confused2:

RatRacer,
Only you can decide what machine "meets your needs" and by no means am I discouraging the Big Dog purchase(after all, they ARE built by Hustler who got the highest overall rating by their dealership network over ALL the other Outodoor Power Equipment manufacturers....even the infamous Scag, Grasshopper and other big names). And when it comes to over buying I'm VERY guilty of that(with 1.5 acres of mostly flat lawn a 52" Commercial ZTR is a wee bit of overkill:0) I had the money available now, am fixing to retire and wanted something that would be relatively problem free for the rest of my life. So I "intentionally" over-bought what I "needed". Besides, my 6-year-old grandson will look real good on my Gravely when his dad hands it down to him:0)

I am in no way discouraged. My 1/2 acre still don't know what hit it. But, I will gladly accept donations to outfit it with a FX. I'm also available for adoption for the hand-me downs. :laughing:

Oh, from your previous question: $5500 is the current over the phone price, but I'm south of that currently, and still prodding before I sign.