Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?

Should ZTR owners be fined if the ROPS is missing?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • No.

Votes: 63 94.0%

• Total voters

X-man

Threads
  • / Should ZTR operators be ticketed if the ROPS bar is removed?
Saw a thread that is FULL of nasty rage. I don't have much of an opinion because I do not own a ZTR.

Do you think that ZTR owners should be ticketed if the ROPS bar is missing?

Last edited:

RatRacer

Threads
Saw a thread that is FULL of nasty rage. Forgot who started the thread. I don't have much of an opinion because I do not own a ZTR.

No.
Tickets only should be issued if they are a legally mandated requirement that has been ignored.
We all live by our choices, and "natural selection" will determine if we made the right one. ;)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Saw a thread that is FULL of nasty rage. Forgot who started the thread. I don't have much of an opinion because I do not own a ZTR.

In order to ticket you would have to change the residential units or ZTR because they are not required to have a ROPS.

mowerman05

Threads
what about removing the side discharge? it wont kill you but it might kill somebody else.

X-man

Threads
what about removing the side discharge? it wont kill you but it might kill somebody else.

A discharge is different. It's not gonna save you if you end up overturning your lawn mower.

But all BS aside, I really hate it when I see a lawn mower with the discharge guard removed. The way my mower deck is designed, I can very easily have a rock smoke me in the eye if I didn't have my guard bolted to the deck (it broke off last year).

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I voted yes, specifically on the premise of "liability" and "protective" measures that I feel are in the best interest of a professional lawn care maintenance worker, their family, the owner/license holder(if applicable) and would include mandantory wearing of the seat belt. Now do I want a police officer to observe me(or you) mowing our personal property without the same enforcement.....that's a hard one(I am answerable only to myself and family....NOT a paying customer that my wife could sue, along with my boss). And, I believe a dealership(and manufacturer) has some accountability if a ZTR is "sold as" a commercial ZTR(or in the case of my Gravely has "Commercial" plastered across the front of it). I understand the ramifications(cost-wise for equipment) this puts on start-up commercial individuals, but like most enforceable "laws" many end up as being forced to comply with that business' regulations(debateably whether in their best interest). They already have to adhere to DOT regulations regarding the trailering requirements of their equipment(mandantory tie-down, GVWR specs of trailer, etc.). Many will despise me for even bringing this up(yes, I am the OP of the thread mentioned by X-man) but IMHO this is the "elephant in the room" to quote therapy notations of a problem being "ignored" rather than confronted that forums like this just do NOT want to talk about. I knew it would stir up a hornet's nest.....Sorry:0(

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Mowerman05,
Different topic....but point well made!! Just what constitutes a safety hazard for a ZTR mower???? The manufacturer of all mowers put side discharge protection(again, because of "liability" when a homeowner breaks a window or puts out someone's eye...then wants to sue MTD) so when the owner removes it...MTD is no longer "liable".

Threads
Saw a thread that is FULL of nasty rage. I don't have much of an opinion because I do not own a ZTR.

I voted NO. I don't have a ZTR but personally I think that not all lawns would need the use of a ROPS bar. I think people should be notified that the use of the ROPS is recommended, but I think you should be able to do what you want, because if you have a super-flat yard but have low tree branches, the ROPS would hit the branches and cause a danger if you don't want to trim them! :rolleyes:

Old Goat

Threads
I voted NO. I don't have a ZTR but personally I think that not all lawns would need the use of a ROPS bar. I think people should be notified that the use of the ROPS is recommended, but I think you should be able to do what you want, because if you have a super-flat yard but have low tree branches, the ROPS would hit the branches and cause a danger if you don't want to trim them! :rolleyes:

I voted no, because I already took mine off. Too many low branches to hang up on around our live oaks. They should be sold with them though, because some people will operate them in places with too much slope and then the manufacturer would have lawsuits. I don't have those worries here and the choice is mine.

I also have taken off the discharge chute, because I find it's not needed. Many mowers are made with the deck discharge having no overhang, in fact if you pull up the plastic chute you are looking at the blade whirling around and are really dangerous in that respect. I made sure the Big Dog I bought did have sufficient overhang. Our old mower was an MTD and also hang sufficient overhang and never threw a projectile in 13 years of mowing. Again, MY choice.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I voted yes, specifically on the premise of "liability" and "protective" measures that I feel are in the best interest of a professional lawn care maintenance worker, their family, the owner/license holder(if applicable) and would include mandantory wearing of the seat belt. Now do I want a police officer to observe me(or you) mowing our personal property without the same enforcement.....that's a hard one(I am answerable only to myself and family....NOT a paying customer that my wife could sue, along with my boss). And, I believe a dealership(and manufacturer) has some accountability if a ZTR is "sold as" a commercial ZTR(or in the case of my Gravely has "Commercial" plastered across the front of it). I understand the ramifications(cost-wise for equipment) this puts on start-up commercial individuals, but like most enforceable "laws" many end up as being forced to comply with that business' regulations(debateably whether in their best interest). They already have to adhere to DOT regulations regarding the trailering requirements of their equipment(mandantory tie-down, GVWR specs of trailer, etc.). Many will despise me for even bringing this up(yes, I am the OP of the thread mentioned by X-man) but IMHO this is the "elephant in the room" to quote therapy notations of a problem being "ignored" rather than confronted that forums like this just do NOT want to talk about. I knew it would stir up a hornet's nest.....Sorry:0(

Now are you saying that the commercial or professional lawn care maintenance worker should be ticketed if they are not using a rops and wearing a seat belt??? If you are it can't be done without a lot of changes.