2013 Super Z

PVHIII

Threads
Sounds like B-S to me. Brand new mowers shouldn't back fire they need to fix the exhaust then. That's my feelings on it , if it were my mower , no way I'd accept it. Call Hustler direct also. Long term they cause damage ... igf they tell you to shut it off at half throttle then it shouldn't back fire , period.

If commercial guys accept it doesn't make it ok. I'd try some different fuels or additives. Maybe some none ethanol stuff. I had a 17hp B&S that back fired I switched to 91 it stopped. For me its beats bent valves. I'd also keep making sure you document it when calling use emails so you can get it on paper.
My manual says low idle shut off blades , then run a couple minutes then shut off. Not half throttle. I own a different engine though.
Call Hustler , no results call Kawasaki......ask Hustler on facebook or twitter I always get better results when its public. :wink:

I would have to agree with Tom if it's backfiring you have a problem that needs to be addressed

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why no premium?

I, like you ALWAYS ran non-ethanol premium in all of my "small engines" before 2006. Then I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor(made by Husqvarna) with a 24hp Briggs & Stratton Intek. I put premium non-ethanol in it and it ran VERY rough almost dying at idle. Changed to mid-grade non-ethanol and it ran fine. Previous lawn tractor(circa 1993) had a 16hp B & S Vanguard....ran like a champ on premium non-ethanol. My auto mechanic told me that the carb settings/timing on small engines beginning in about 2005 or so(to comply with EPA Emission Standards) is why the Intek "choked" on the higher octane premium. I too, now, am using the mid-grade non-ethanol in everything with small engines(besides, the premium non-ethanol is getting very difficult to find and when you do it's $4.50/gal:0(
Everything I have seems to be doing fine on the mid-grade non-ethanol(performance and "mileage"). IMHO, that's why many may have changed to using mid-grade versus premium and should still do better than running the 87 octane regular.

PVHIII

Threads
I, like you ALWAYS ran non-ethanol premium in all of my "small engines" before 2006. Then I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor(made by Husqvarna) with a 24hp Briggs & Stratton Intek. I put premium non-ethanol in it and it ran VERY rough almost dying at idle. Changed to mid-grade non-ethanol and it ran fine. Previous lawn tractor(circa 1993) had a 16hp B & S Vanguard....ran like a champ on premium non-ethanol. My auto mechanic told me that the carb settings/timing on small engines beginning in about 2005 or so(to comply with EPA Emission Standards) is why the Intek "choked" on the higher octane premium. I too, now, am using the mid-grade non-ethanol in everything with small engines(besides, the premium non-ethanol is getting very difficult to find and when you do it's $4.50/gal:0(
Everything I have seems to be doing fine on the mid-grade non-ethanol(performance and p"mileage"). IMHO, that's why many may have changed to using mid-grade versus premium and should still do better than running the 87 octane regular.

That's stramge...plenty of gas stations around here that have signs posted that read "NO Ethanol In our Premium" but NONE that say "no Ethanol in our mid grade"...but there our some mom and pop operations around the lakes that don't have ethanol in any of there fuel but those are few and far between...never had any issues premium in ANY engine...just better performance..Not saying it's not possible... and yes it is expensive..BTW.. premium is down to $3.34 a gallon..just out ta curiosity what is it over there?

Last edited:

PVHIII

Threads
Everything I have seems to be doing fine on the mid-grade non-ethanol(performance and "mileage"). IMHO, that's why many may have changed to using mid-grade versus premium and should still do better than running the 87 octane regular.

I think it's possible you just got ahold of some bad fuel...not so sure about the advice of your mechanic.. if that were the case all my engines would be "spitting and sputtering"..but maybe that just had an effect on that make of engines..anything is possible I reckon

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
I would have to agree with Tom if it's backfiring you have a problem that needs to be addressed
Kohlers are notorious for backfiring when shut down all of them I have owned will back fire no matter how long you let them idle before shutdown.
Also most of the owners manuals read warranty they say 89 or higher octane if they ask you if you used 87 lie because warranty is void they will say your fault been there

Hustling

Threads
I thought I'd post a pic of my new ride. I really like it so far.
2013 Super Z
72" 35 hp

View attachment 14033

Wow, that is a lot of motor and deck, i bet that will cut a lot of grass per hour.. would be curious to know if you can really handle the ride at 15mph. It will be like mowing on a dune buggy. I see it has the flex forks and deluxe seat - should help. Nice!

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
Wow, that is a lot of motor and deck, i bet that will cut a lot of grass per hour.. would be curious to know if you can really handle the ride at 15mph. It will be like mowing on a dune buggy. I see it has the flex forks and deluxe seat - should help. Nice!
really interested in histler super 104 or the 72 would like to hear how it stripes

edd

Threads
i bought the red super z a month ago [ big dog diablo with 60 inch deck ].....i dont have any yards where i can go 14 mph ,at least for any length of time......i can cruise along at 10--11 mph on a lot of them .....the 60 deck is not ideal on areas where the ground is slightly uneven because of scalping......it definitely cuts down on my time and does not tear up grass when i turn like i thought it might due to weighing 1500 pounds.....my opinion is that an x-1 with a 54 deck would be the best setup for small or large yards......less scalping and still all the speed you can handle.....at 14 mph if you hit a bump you will leave an area either uncut or cut higher than the rest