Full Synthetic oil to use

Cow

Threads
Recently i post a Thread on Kubota T series mowers , as most do know Kubota now have Kohler engs. the one i bought 3 wks ago has the Kohler Courage 20 hp , when i get 50 hrs. on this eng. i will be changing oil etc. and i`m going to use Full Synthetic .
I would like to hear which brand Synthetic i should use, also most likely it will be 10W-30 unless someone can tell me info. why i should not .
I have read the Manuel & it calls for SG, SH, SJ or Higher , can someone explain in detail how this would apply to Full Synthetic .
Thanks for your replies .
Kentucky

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Search the forum. There are numerous long threads.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Recently i post a Thread on Kubota T series mowers , as most do know Kubota now have Kohler engs. the one i bought 3 wks ago has the Kohler Courage 20 hp , when i get 50 hrs. on this eng. i will be changing oil etc. and i`m going to use Full Synthetic .
I would like to hear which brand Synthetic i should use, also most likely it will be 10W-30 unless someone can tell me info. why i should not .
I have read the Manuel & it calls for SG, SH, SJ or Higher , can someone explain in detail how this would apply to Full Synthetic .
Thanks for your replies .
Kentucky

It's the API Service Category, it's what the manufacturer says is needed for your engine. Your engine calls for a Detergent oil of SG, SH, SJ or SL for oil type, not a synthetic. The API service Category for synthetic is CF if there even using it now. Check your manual it will tell you what type of oil to use, the engines capacity and viscosity to use, I recommend doing or following the manufacturers recommendations .

Which 20hp kohler does it have the single cylinder or twin?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cow, I'm sure you realize the Manufacturer is recommending the "Minimum" standardoil in your manual... and since you are switching to a synthetic, you are aware there are Better oils available...
Any full synthetic oil will be better than most any mineral base oil... There are a few that really don't understand that.

You can not really compair mineral oil "weights" to synthetic oil numbers... Synthetic oils achieve a multi viscosity in a different way...
As reynoldston said 15W40 Amsoil, is great... Amsoil started synthetics & have been doing it for a Long time...
I run Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in every Diesel or Gasoline engine I have, Diesel rated oils have the highest non foaming detergent additive plus excellent high pressure components. I've ran diesel rated synthetics for decades in gasoline engines, before Rotella T6, it was Mobil1 turbo truck, before that it was Mobil1 Delvac...
You will never regret switching to a synthetic, and there will always be a few that just are not able to 'get it'...
Love those Kubota's ... :smile:KennyV

Cow

Threads
Cow, I'm sure you realize the Manufacturer is recommending the "Minimum" standardoil in your manual... and since you are switching to a synthetic, you are aware there are Better oils available...
Any full synthetic oil will be better than most any mineral base oil... There are a few that really don't understand that.

You can not really compair mineral oil "weights" to synthetic oil numbers... Synthetic oils achieve a multi viscosity in a different way...
As reynoldston said 15W40 Amsoil, is great... Amsoil started synthetics & have been doing it for a Long time...
I run Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in every Diesel or Gasoline engine I have, Diesel rated oils have the highest non foaming detergent additive plus excellent high pressure components. I've ran diesel rated synthetics for decades in gasoline engines, before Rotella T6, it was Mobil1 turbo truck, before that it was Mobil1 Delvac...
You will never regret switching to a synthetic, and there will always be a few that just are not able to 'get it'...
Love those Kubota's ... :smile:KennyV

Thanks KennyV , i had hoped you would reply to this thread, i`ve read your response to other`s & i feel your reply`s are worthy on
this lawn forum , Now the Kohler eng on this 2013 Kubota is a Kohler Courage SV-710 v twin 20 hp . i have spoke with Kubota & Kohler Manf.
and they try their best to convince me what a Great eng . i have but, if it is so Great then Why do i read so many Neg . reply on Kohler Courage . without doubt i will use Full Synthetic eng. oil after i get the 50 hr. break in period over. I was already leaning toward Rotella T6 then i read it is basicly for Desiel eng.
If you have used it in gasoline engs. for decades , without problems then that is the oil i will put, in this courage eng. For me i would have felt much more secure if Kubota had stayed with the Kaw. engs .

Cow

Threads
Never bought into the fairy tale about using deisel oil in a gasoline engine and never will.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief6 -...sic and High-Performance Gasoline Engines.pdf

I only use one word when I think "oil". Valvoline.
Been that way forever, still true. Regular or synthetic.

Much more info here.
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

After reading this, you have got me searching deep into this matter , could be a whole new can of Worms for me .
Thanks for the info. Old Goat

Cow

Threads
It's the API Service Category, it's what the manufacturer says is needed for your engine. Your engine calls for a Detergent oil of SG, SH, SJ or SL for oil type, not a synthetic. The API service Category for synthetic is CF if there even using it now. Check your manual it will tell you what type of oil to use, the engines capacity and viscosity to use, I recommend doing or following the manufacturers recommendations .

Which 20hp kohler does it have the single cylinder or twin?

It has the V twin SV-710 Kohler Courage eng. was Manf. 8-26 -2012 ( made in China , label is right on flywheel shroud )
Very true manuel calls for SG, SH, SJ, or Higher , i had phone talk with Kubota Rep. ( 40 mins. ) last wk. and i ask him if it was OK and would my 2 yr warranty be Void if i change oil ( 50 hrs. ) and use Synthetic , he said long as i stay in Viscosity it would be fine.
This guy said he was Kubota Rep for 6 states , so i told him my results from using Syn. oil in my older Kubota (16 yrs ) with Kaw. eng.
he has no problem with my Syn. choice .