Full Synthetic oil to use

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never bought into the fairy tale about using deisel oil in a gasoline engine and never will.

[/URL]
Flat tappet failure using the new automobile gasoline engineoils is a real problem with older engines. I've seen mopar cams destroyed.
The higher zddp is a definite help... and like I said, the oil viscosity is arrived differently with synthetic oils... I never suggested anyone use mineral oil that is out of the 'range' recommended... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
i have spoke with Kubota & Kohler Manf.
and they try their best to convince me what a Great eng . i have but, if it is so Great then Why do i read so many Neg . reply on Kohler Courage . without doubt i will use Full Synthetic eng. oil after i get the 50 hr. break in period over. I was already leaning toward Rotella T6 then i read it is basicly for Desiel eng.
For me i would have felt much more secure if Kubota had stayed with the Kaw. engs .

There may be a rare failure in any engine... But like you said the Kohler Courage seems to have had a run of engine problems. Aside from assembly errors or inferior metals, I do not know why it is so difficult to make a reliable engine today. It may have been early production run problems, hope they have it all worked out...
You will absolutely reduce wear running Rotella T6 or Amsoil...
And running Diesel rated Synthetic has been common practice in Many heavy duty applications... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It has the V twin SV-710 Kohler Courage eng. was Manf. 8-26 -2012 ( made in China , label is right on flywheel shroud )
Very true manuel calls for SG, SH, SJ, or Higher , i had phone talk with Kubota Rep. ( 40 mins. ) last wk. and i ask him if it was OK and would my 2 yr warranty be Void if i change oil ( 50 hrs. ) and use Synthetic , he said long as i stay in Viscosity it would be fine.
This guy said he was Kubota Rep for 6 states , so i told him my results from using Syn. oil in my older Kubota (16 yrs ) with Kaw. eng.
he has no problem with my Syn. choice .

I ran the 20 hp Kohler single cylinder, I also ran the same engine 20hp V-twin you have purchased in 2008 along with 22hp Kohler I'm still running now. I learned my lesson with synthetic oil and I'll never run it in any of my engines again. I did the same thing you're talking about doing and it turned my LT 1045 CC Kohler single at just over 100 hrs into the nicest mosquito foggier in the world.

I took my 1045 to the shop to be fixed and I told them what I did at the 50 hr change and what I put in was the Mobil 1 for oil, they called a day later and said the mower was ready to be picked up it was fixed, all the mechanic did was changed the oil back to the regular oil and the thing run great and never smoke again. The 1045 with the kohler single had almost 500 hrs when I sold it, my CC Z-force 44" was the same when sold and the 22hp in my 48" z-force is coming up to 700 hrs, all Courage engines. All my engines Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda and one crap Briggs run nothing but Mobil Super 5000 10w30 motor oil and change my oil every 50hrs with filter and I run my mowers six days a week. The thing is you asked why all the negativity towards the Kohler Courage and everybody blames Kohler for there engine problems but IMO it's not Kohler it's the people running them and not following the Manufacturers Recommendations.

You'll have to pardon me but I don't buy into Kenny's theory's about the greatness of synthetic oil, I think it use is all hype when it comes to mowers. Your engine is designed and built by people who know what there doing and undoubtedly no more about them than anyone here. If your engine was designed to run on Synthetic it would say so in the manual but it doesn't it calls for a Detergent oil SG, SH, SJ, or Higher not the CF rating of a Synthetic but hey who am I, you run whatever you want I learned my lesson and thank goodness I had a mechanic set me straight and it didn't cost me big time.

Last edited:

Cow

Threads
I ran the 20 hp Kohler single cylinder, I also ran the same engine 20hp V-twin you have purchased in 2008 along with 22hp Kohler I'm still running now. I learned my lesson with synthetic oil and I'll never run it in any of my engines again. I did the same thing you're talking about doing and it turned my LT 1045 CC Kohler single at just over 100 hrs into the nicest mosquito foggier in the world.

I took my 1045 to the shop to be fixed and I told them what I did at the 50 hr change and what I put in was the Mobil 1 for oil, they called a day later and said the mower was ready to be picked up it was fixed, all the mechanic did was changed the oil back to the regular oil and the thing run great and never smoke again. The 1045 with the kohler single had almost 500 hrs when I sold it, my CC Z-force 44" was the same when sold and the 22hp in my 48" z-force is coming up to 700 hrs, all Courage engines. All my engines Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda and one crap Briggs run nothing but Mobil Super 5000 10w30 motor oil and change my oil every 50hrs with filter and I run my mowers six days a week. The thing is you asked why all the negativity towards the Kohler Courage and everybody blames Kohler for there engine problems but IMO it's not Kohler it's the people running them and not following the Manufacturers Recommendations.

You'll have to pardon me but I don't buy into Kenny's theory's about the greatness of synthetic oil, I think it use is all hype when it comes to mowers. Your engine is designed and built by people who know what there doing and undoubtedly no more about them than anyone here. If your engine was designed to run on Synthetic it would say so in the manual but it doesn't it calls for a Detergent oil SG, SH, SJ, or Higher not the CF rating of a Synthetic but hey who am I, you run whatever you want I learned my lesson and thank goodness I had a mechanic set me straight and it didn't cost me big time.

Ric, thank you for this reply , i now will try find manuel for my older Kubota T1560 ( 16 yrs ) Kaw. eng. single cyl. 14 hp , i `m not sure the type oil it calls to use but, i do know for last 7-8 yrs. i have used 10W-30 syn. oil in this eng. and gosh this eng. is still smooth as silk .
I have to agree the new Kubota T 2080, 20 hp. Kohler eng. V twin it says nothing about using Syn. oil i just have in my head it worked great in older Kaw. eng. then it should in this new kohler eng. Guess i will dig into the matter deeper and make another call to Kohler Manf. and let them make the call , the small eng. mech. i get if eng. blows may not be as understanding as the one that saved you.
This is a Kohler eng. lesson i will take to heart the reply you shared with me about your experince .

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cow watch this video Eric the Oil Guy

cobra2k1

Threads
It's the API Service Category, it's what the manufacturer says is needed for your engine. Your engine calls for a Detergent oil of SG, SH, SJ or SL for oil type, not a synthetic. The API service Category for synthetic is CF if there even using it now. Check your manual it will tell you what type of oil to use, the engines capacity and viscosity to use, I recommend doing or following the manufacturers recommendations .

Which 20hp kohler does it have the single cylinder or twin?

Def +1 on that!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Beating it to death...ok. Agricultual engines are low rpm units , not high performance. Look at the hp per cu in. The 3000 rpm is a fast idle. If people think they need $8 /qt oil when $1.50 will do just fine I guess it's fine too. No one on this forum has convinced me that syn oils run cooler, though many tried. When my Intek came apart with low hours it was not due to lubrication problems with Chevron 10w30, it was (IMO) over heat in the head. No damage whatsoever with the auto oil.

The sump runs up to 300F on hot days. I will tell you soon how hot the head gets. Even at 300F oil pressure is 35 psi and no damage. I would not run Chevron 10w-30 in a Kawasaki drag bike or road racer.

On the other hand I do not believe syn oil will hurt if kept in the proper viscosity range. Would like to hear specific reasons reverting to factory recommended oil "fixed" things. Sorry, but that sounds like voodoo repair. There are many "myths" about syn oil lifting seals , etc. None verified, I believe. The syn oil is good stuff. I run it in wife's German car to satisfy the warranty cops. Seems way overpriced.:2cents:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Beating it to death...ok. Agricultual engines are low rpm units , not high performance. Look at the hp per cu in. The 3000 rpm is a fast idle. If people think they need $8 /qt oil when $1.50 will do just fine I guess it's fine too. No one on this forum has convinced me that syn oils run cooler, though many tried. When my Intek came apart with low hours it was not due to lubrication problems with Chevron 10w30, it was (IMO) over heat in the head. No damage whatsoever with the auto oil.

The sump runs up to 300F on hot days. I will tell you soon how hot the head gets. Even at 300F oil pressure is 35 psi and no damage. I would not run Chevron 10w-30 in a Kawasaki drag bike or road racer.

On the other hand I do not believe syn oil will hurt if kept in the proper viscosity range. Would like to hear specific reasons reverting to factory recommended oil "fixed" things. Sorry, but that sounds like voodoo repair. There are many "myths" about syn oil lifting seals , etc. None verified, I believe. The syn oil is good stuff. I run it in wife's German car to satisfy the warranty cops. Seems way overpriced.:2cents:

I'm like you No one on this forum has ever convinced me that syn oils run cooler or are any better than the Mobil 5000 I use and after my experience with the synthetic stuff they never will. I'll stay with the Manufacturers Recommendations.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ric,

Thank God someone else on these forums sees this "controversy" of regular oil versus synthetic oil the same way I do(small engines and/or automotive engines). BTW, I have a 2001 Lincoln LS with a V8 that has 151,000 miles over 12 years that does not use(burn/leak) a DROP of oil every 3,000 miles and a 1995 Chevy Silverado with 230,000 miles that uses(burns/leaks) maybe a 1/2 to 1 pint every 3,000 miles(still pretty good in my book). Neither of these vehicles have seen anything except 10W30 Penzoil since their first oil change. I don't add Slick50 or any other "new-age" products in these engines, but upon the recommendation of my mechanic(because of their mileage) I have started to add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Treatment once every 12,000 miles to both(this is also a "petroleum-based" product as well). I don't trust synthetics or synthetic blends and never will.

Now for my perspective on small engine(lawn mower) applications:
For my lawn mowers I have NEVER used multi-viscosity which can "lead to oil consumption"(this is explicitly stated in my Kawasaki Commercial engine handbook for my Gravely). I have used "ONLY" SAE 30W Briggs & Stratton engine oil(inexpensive and available at WalMart) in all my "small engine" lawn equipment applications. BTW, my first lawn tractor, a 1993 True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard, was in service for 19 years before the deck fell apart and the engine still ran like brand new and did not use a single drop of oil between seasons. Need I say more?
To further elaborate, if you can "see a difference" with using synthetics that clearly indicates better performance and if your engine manual explicitly states that synthetic is OK(and I would assume it would mention a preferred "vicosity" for synthetics) I don't blame some folks for giving a try(this did not seem to be user Ric's experience). But.......bottom line, my Kawasaki FX691V Owner's Manual does NOT even mention the use of synthetic oil and as I stated earlier it specifically says "Using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." I have to believe what Kawasaki tells me in regard to their engines, therefore my reasoning for continuing the use of Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W oil. Unless further reasearch on the Kawasaki website or a reply from their Tech Support via a "Contact Us" correspondence changes that, most likely I will take my chances on their recommendations. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,

Thank God someone else on these forums sees this "controversy" of regular oil versus synthetic oil the same way I do(small engines and/or automotive engines). BTW, I have a 2001 Lincoln LS with a V8 that has 151,000 miles over 12 years that does not use(burn/leak) a DROP of oil every 3,000 miles and a 1995 Chevy Silverado with 230,000 miles that uses(burns/leaks) maybe a 1/2 to 1 pint every 3,000 miles(still pretty good in my book). Neither of these vehicles have seen anything except 10W30 Penzoil since their first oil change. I don't add Slick50 or any other "new-age" products in these engines, but upon the recommendation of my mechanic(because of their mileage) I have started to add Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Treatment once every 12,000 miles to both(this is also a "petroleum-based" product as well). I don't trust synthetics or synthetic blends and never will.

Now for my perspective on small engine(lawn mower) applications:
For my lawn mowers I have NEVER used multi-viscosity which can "lead to oil consumption"(this is explicitly stated in my Kawasaki Commercial engine handbook for my Gravely). I have used "ONLY" SAE 30W Briggs & Stratton engine oil(inexpensive and available at WalMart) in all my "small engine" lawn equipment applications. BTW, my first lawn tractor, a 1993 True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard, was in service for 19 years before the deck fell apart and the engine still ran like brand new and did not use a single drop of oil between seasons. Need I say more?
To further elaborate, if you can "see a difference" with using synthetics that clearly indicates better performance and if your engine manual explicitly states that synthetic is OK(and I would assume it would mention a preferred "viscosity" for synthetics) I don't blame some folks for giving a try(this did not seem to be user Ric's experience). But.......bottom line, my Kawasaki FX691V Owner's Manual does NOT even mention the use of synthetic oil and as I stated earlier it specifically says "Using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." I have to believe what Kawasaki tells me in regard to their engines, therefore my reasoning for continuing the use of Briggs & Stratton SAE 30W oil. Unless further research on the Kawasaki website or a reply from their Tech Support via a "Contact Us" correspondence changes that, most likely I will take my chances on their recommendations. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

I think there has been a lot of brain washing going on with people over the controversy with oil types and what needs to be used in what. You would think that if this synthetic oil was so super that every automotive manufacturer would be screaming to run the stuff in the cars they make but yet none do, only in certain cars like the Corvette, Mini Cooper and a few other High Performance cars is it used or recommended to satisfy there warranty.
I don't think any of the Mower Manuals I've looked at and gone through Kawasaki, Kohler, Hondas or Briggs say anything or recommend the use of synthetic oil, it's always A Detergent oil API Service Classification SG, SH, SJ. Yes I know it says using multi-grade oils(5W20, 10W30 and 10W40) can increase oil consumption but I personally use the 10w30 and as much or as often as I change I've never seen any of my mowers use any oil but I also know I'm a bit of a fanatic in my beliefs about changing my oil every 50 hrs and sometimes sooner if conditions warrant it.