Ariens, Snapper, or Husqvarna lawn tractor Need your help, buying tomorrow.

MowerSam

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ariens, Snapper, or Husqvarna lawn tractor Need your help, buying tomorrow.
Ok here is my situation.

2.5 Acres, hills, rough terrain, several trees. Has a "woods" separating the lot. Pushed mowed it all last summer, had a used Honda 54" blow up on me. Purchasing a new one tomorrow. I am not handy at all, and don't like to spend my weekend mowing, so fast and dependable are really important.

Here is what I am down to.

Snapper SPX 46 Deck- 22 HP $1999- My buddy owns the appliance store selling. No pick up/ delevery on service

Husqvarna Fast Tractor 48 Deck- 24 Hp- 1899- From a local dealer. $40 pick up/ delivery on service

Ariens Lawn tractor 54-25 Hp- 2000 Local dealer, no service charge

Ariens Lawn Tractor 46-22-1699 Local dealer no service charge

Your imput would really help here.

txzrider

Threads
I'm sure one of the tractor guys will offer advice... for my part I would suggest a locking differential , the sturdiest deck (usually fabricated instead of stamped.) How steep are the hills? On steep hills, a engine with pressure lubrication is important.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok here is my situation.

2.5 Acres, hills, rough terrain, several trees. Has a "woods" separating the lot. Pushed mowed it all last summer, had a used Honda 54" blow up on me. Purchasing a new one tomorrow. I am not handy at all, and don't like to spend my weekend mowing, so fast and dependable are really important.

Snapper SPX 46 Deck- 22 HP $1999- My buddy owns the appliance store selling. No pick up/ delevery on service

Husqvarna Fast Tractor 48 Deck- 24 Hp- 1899- From a local dealer. $40 pick up/ delivery on service

MowerSam,
I agree with user txzrider, but to step up to a lawn tractor that will be "durable enough" for 2.5 acres like you described(with a locking differential hydro tranny and a fab deck) you will have to up the budget a bit. Take a look at the Husqvarna YT48XLS(link below). Kawasaki engine, lifetime deck warranty.......but $2899($1,000 more than the other husky you looked at but probably well worth the difference).

Husqvarna YT48XLS - Garden tractors

darkexphos1

Threads
Ok here is my situation.

Ariens by far, I have a 1980's Ariens GT18 and it runs like a charm. Husqvarna are good too but you are mostly paying for the name.

TnHusky

Threads
I can give you real world advice since I have the YTH24K48 Fast Tractor, I have over 24hrs on mine and love it. I literally cut 45 min or more out of my mowing time. With the bigger deck and speed you will love this thing. 10 year warranty on the deck, beefed up K57r Tuff Torq tranny and a strong 24 hp Kohler engine will get the job done for sure. Go to Lowes web site and look at the reviews, also go to some of the online garden selling sites such as Mowers Direct and look at there ratings and you'll find the YTH24K48 at the top of the list. I did a lot of research on mowers before I bought and had narrowed it down to Husky and Cub, then I met a Cub rep at the Home Depot one evening and my mind was made up. No grease fittings in the deck spindles according to him because that was just a feel good item that doesn't even work because of sealed bearings. What happens when a seal wears some and some of that wasted grease gets in there and lubes those dry sealed bearings? They last for 12 years like my older White I had.
Hope this helps and I think you will be well pleased with the Husqvarna Mower.

macsplinter

Threads
I have a ariens 46-22 and mow three acres and it has more than been a good dependable mower.