Wrong gas put in tiller - put in gas w/oil

mhlarmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
borrowed neighbors small tiller and put the wrong gas in. Put in gas with oil. Was running great. Did not start. Drained gas, cleaned plug. Started it and it idles. But will not get up to speed. chokes out. Looked at air filter. Help....

okiepc

Threads
May take a while to run the mixed fuel out. :thumbsup:

mhlarmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I let it run for about 5 to eight minutes. I thought that would have been long enough???

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's not the mixed gas that did it. You must have picked up some trash or the gas was very old

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

mhlarmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's not the mixed gas that did it. You must have picked up some trash or the gas was very old

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

That is what I thought possibly and the carb might be clogged?? I ran some seam foam in the new fuel and now I guess I don't have a choice but to take the carb off and clean it?

chance123

Threads
If you can get to it, try just dropping the float bowl and clean the jets

AnthemBassMan

Threads
-Like Carscw said, the mixed gas isn't the issue. Every few tanks on my '92 Craftsman push mower, I will fill the tank about half way with the 50:1 mix for my string trimmer, then the rest of the way with straight gas. Never any issues and no extra smoke either. I pull the plug every now and then, but it burns pretty clean with just a hint of oil residue at the base of the threads, but none on the electrode. I also use Marvel's Mystery Oil in my gas cans quite a bit too without any issues. I do this for a top end lube/cleaner. Does it really work? I can't prove it. But a 22 year old push mower that still runs great, starts on the first or second pull, and doesn't burn oil is good enough for me...

L8R,
Matt

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I read a lot on 2 cycle tcw-3 oil and once a month I mix one ounce per two gallons and run it through my 4 cycle equipment top end lube and cleans carbon out of the chamber and lubes rings but I wouldn't want to use it full time or even more mixed than that. And I also burn probably 12 gallons regular then 2 gallons of mixed plugs seem in good shape and I like the idea its cleaning my stuff.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I pour water into the carb while the engine is running.
Back in the 60s 70s 80s we would do this in our cars. I do this once a week.
About every 200 hours I pour oil in the carb
I do this every week in my dirt car.

cmw

Threads
I agree on this. I have used mixed gas in 4 stroke engines before when out of plain gas and had little to no issue. I wouldn't do this all the time or at least not full strength but I don't think this is your problem. I mainly did it because I didn't want to drive several miles to the gas station when I realized I was out of gas and all I had was mixed gas.

The jets are probably plugged and my first step would be to drop the bowl and clean the jets. Be careful as there are some TINY parts you might lose. These parts may be TINY but important. The engine won't run without them.

Also, the running of water through an engine is great for getting rid of carbon on top of the pistons, the cylinder head, and on the valves. Two words of warning. 1. Use distilled water. You don't want minerals from tap water being deposited inside the engine. 2. Be careful that you don't flood the engine and hydrolock the cylinder. Water is incompressible and something will have to give inside the engine. This might be a connecting rod or something else catastrophic. Take it slow and don't let it kill the engine.