Is Freedom Z a commercial mower?

postconstruction

Forum Newbie
Threads
First year of my small lawn service. I am mowing about 15 residentail lawns. I am looking at Hustler Fasttracks and Freedom Z's, simply for my limited budget. I have also considered used equipment (ie Hustler Super Z or Scag Wildcat Tiger Cub, etc.). I have various opinions from dealers about Scagg Freedom Z'S and Hustler Fastracks. My question is - is the Freedom Z really commercial or residential grade? My local Scagg daler tells me if properly maintained, the Freedom Z should last 2000hours. I find that hard to beleive, but they are a very reputable dealer. Any opinions?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Scag Freedom Z is as much a commercial machine when compared to most of the lower level commercial machines from other manufacturers. I'm only familiar with the Hustler X-ONE as I own one.
If you have felt the need for a collection system, then you need to be more selective in you choice of machine.
HP and an engine with a two stage air filtration system are a high priority in your search.
My 2008 Tiger Cub has a collection system which I use about 90% of the time. Disposing of the clippings then presents another problem and I only use the collection system at customers places where I can dispose of the clippings on or near their places. The collection blower is easily removed from the deck and I install the plastic chute. I have a closed cargo trailer with a ramp that all my equipment is kept in.
Just a few things to consider.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:
The sun is shining and I gotta get to work!!!

opd128@aol.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run a small lawn business and cut about 35 lawns a week. I am running a scag freedon z with a 42" mulching deck. The mower has approx 400 hours on it and has not skipped a beat. I would recommend this mower to the small business owner. If you go to a full time business I would step to a tiger series mower.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
First year of my small lawn service. I am mowing about 15 residentail lawns. I am looking at Hustler Fasttracks and Freedom Z's, simply for my limited budget. I have also considered used equipment (ie Hustler Super Z or Scag Wildcat Tiger Cub, etc.). I have various opinions from dealers about Scagg Freedom Z'S and Hustler Fastracks. My question is - is the Freedom Z really commercial or residential grade? My local Scagg daler tells me if properly maintained, the Freedom Z should last 2000hours. I find that hard to beleive, but they are a very reputable dealer. Any opinions?

postconstruction,
IMHO, the Scag Freedom and the Hustler Fastrak are to be considered high-end Residential ZTR's(based upon the ZT-3100 trannies, FS-Heavy Duty series Kawasaki engine, aluminum spindles and 10gauge decks). They do have a 1Year Commercial Warranty but this really indicates "heavy duty residential" more so than "full Commercial". Until you upgrade to the ZT-3400 and higher trannies, the FX-Commercial series of Kawasaki engines, the cast iron spindles, the 7gauge decks and see at least a 2Year Commercial Warranty you really aren't getting a "Commercial Grade" ZTR.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
postconstruction,
IMHO, the Scag Freedom and the Hustler Fastrak are to be considered high-end Residential ZTR's(based upon the ZT-3100 trannies, FS-Heavy Duty series Kawasaki engine, aluminum spindles and 10gauge decks). They do have a 1Year Commercial Warranty but this really indicates "heavy duty residential" more so than "full Commercial". Until you upgrade to the ZT-3400 and higher trannies, the FX-Commercial series of Kawasaki engines, the cast iron spindles, the 7gauge decks and see at least a 2Year Commercial Warranty you really aren't getting a "Commercial Grade" ZTR.

djdicetn the Scag Freedom Z is a commercial mower, it may be a low end commercial but it is a commercial. The Hydro gear 3100 according to HG is a commercial trannie and the Kawasaki FS is also a commercial engine. The FS series engine was Specifically engineered for demanding landscape work. The FX series was designed to be Kawaski's power house engine for heavier applications or in larger mowers where more HP is required.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
djdicetn the Scag Freedom Z is a commercial mower, it may be a low end commercial but it is a commercial. The Hydro gear 3100 according to HG is a commercial trannie and the Kawasaki FS is also a commercial engine. The FS series engine was Specifically engineered for demanding landscape work. The FX series was designed to be Kawaski's power house engine for heavier applications or in larger mowers where more HP is required.

Ric,
It seems that like many aspects of Zero Turn Mowers, the term "Commercial ZTR" is open to a variety of interpretations. Based upon what I've learned(I'll admit in the relatively short time I have researched ZTR's) a single or at best a couple of "commercial grade components" does not(in my opinion) classify that ZTR as a "Commercial". If so, there are a WHOLE LOT more Commercial ZTR's than what I have considered "fully Commercial". For instance, what if a a ZTR has a "Commercial" ZT-3100 tranny....but has a Kawasaki FR(Residential series) engine. Does the tranny make it a Commercial or does the engine make it a Residential? And some ZTR's(I don't have specific makes/models at this point) that have the ZT-3100 trannies but are specifically referred to by the manufacturer as a Residential or Homeowner series for their products. Again, if a "clearly Residential" ZTR and a "maybe Commercial" ZTR(as described in the Scag Freedom) both have 10gauge fabricated deck, why is the Freedom truly a Commercial. Personally, I don't even consider a ZTR that doesn't have a chain-hung deck as a full-Commercial, but that again isn't completely justifiable based upon a single feature/component. And just for the sake of more clarification on Kawa series designation, the Kawasaki website itself is where I got the info that FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial. Now in the case of designating a ZTR as "fully Commercial", which engine would you look for to make sure you were buying a completely Commercial product. The horsepower doesn't make sense to me because there are FR-Residential Kawas with larger HP ratings than my FX691V. So did you mean CC Displacement/Torque to determine a "Commercial Kawa". Don't get me wrong...I'm not simply trying to be argumentative but I do want to feel comfortable that the advice I give here, the opinions and information that I share is accurate. So convince me(using my favorite brand) that the Gravely ZT HD(with a ZT-3100 tranny, but a Kawa FR or Kohler Courage Pro engine) is a Commercial ZTR, because I have not told any users to compare it to other Commercial ZTR's, but to high-end Residential ZTR's that have some Commercial-grade components. Just to quote the Gravely catalog regarding the ZT HD: "This professional grade zero-turn is engineered from commercial DNA for the property owner who relies on high-performance and superior cutting efficiency. In fact, many of the features on these machines are the same as what professionals rely on every day". Yet Gravely doesn't have a "Commercial" decal underneath the front of this model's seat like they do for the Pro-Turns. So they do not market this ZTR as a Commercial but as a HD(Heavy Duty) Residential. I guess I need to read up a little more on the Scag Freedom Z to justify me not considering it one of the ZTR's that Scag markets as a Commercial series:0)

P.S.
You didn't mention whether you considered the base Hustler FasTrak(not the FasTrak Super Duty) with the ZT-3100 and Kawa FS as a Commercial, but I can assume since that is the same as the Scag you implied it was. Some may not agree on the Hustler.

RatRacer

Threads
Ruh-roh:eek:

open-a-can-of-worms.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Ric,
It seems that like many aspects of Zero Turn Mowers, the term "Commercial ZTR" is open to a variety of interpretations. Based upon what I've learned(I'll admit in the relatively short time I have researched ZTR's) a single or at best a couple of "commercial grade components" does not(in my opinion) classify that ZTR as a "Commercial". If so, there are a WHOLE LOT more Commercial ZTR's than what I have considered "fully Commercial". For instance, what if a a ZTR has a "Commercial" ZT-3100 tranny....but has a Kawasaki FR(Residential series) engine. Does the tranny make it a Commercial or does the engine make it a Residential? And some ZTR's(I don't have specific makes/models at this point) that have the ZT-3100 trannies but are specifically referred to by the manufacturer as a Residential or Homeowner series for their products. Again, if a "clearly Residential" ZTR and a "maybe Commercial" ZTR(as described in the Scag Freedom) both have 10gauge fabricated deck, why is the Freedom truly a Commercial. Personally, I don't even consider a ZTR that doesn't have a chain-hung deck as a full-Commercial, but that again isn't completely justifiable based upon a single feature/component. And just for the sake of more clarification on Kawa series designation, the Kawasaki website itself is where I got the info that FR=Residential, FS=Heavy Duty and FX=Commercial. Now in the case of designating a ZTR as "fully Commercial", which engine would you look for to make sure you were buying a completely Commercial product. The horsepower doesn't make sense to me because there are FR-Residential Kawas with larger HP ratings than my FX691V. So did you mean CC Displacement/Torque to determine a "Commercial Kawa". Don't get me wrong...I'm not simply trying to be argumentative but I do want to feel comfortable that the advice I give here, the opinions and information that I share is accurate. So convince me(using my favorite brand) that the Gravely ZT HD(with a ZT-3100 tranny, but a Kawa FR or Kohler Courage Pro engine) is a Commercial ZTR, because I have not told any users to compare it to other Commercial ZTR's, but to high-end Residential ZTR's that have some Commercial-grade components. Just to quote the Gravely catalog regarding the ZT HD: "This professional grade zero-turn is engineered from commercial DNA for the property owner who relies on high-performance and superior cutting efficiency. In fact, many of the features on these machines are the same as what professionals rely on every day". Yet Gravely doesn't have a "Commercial" decal underneath the front of this model's seat like they do for the Pro-Turns. So they do not market this ZTR as a Commercial but as a HD(Heavy Duty) Residential. I guess I need to read up a little more on the Scag Freedom Z to justify me not considering it one of the ZTR's that Scag markets as a Commercial series:0)

P.S.
You didn't mention whether you considered the base Hustler FasTrak(not the FasTrak Super Duty) with the ZT-3100 and Kawa FS as a Commercial, but I can assume since that is the same as the Scag you implied it was. Some may not agree on the Hustler.

I think your interpretations of what a commercial mower is are a little off. According to your interpretations the Toro Grandstand is a residential mower not a commercial. To begin with if you go to the HG site and look you would know that the transmissions that are installed in mowers are chosen by the weight of the mower and hp ratings of the engine and deck size as to what drive they will accept or install. The engine for a mower is also chosen by the weight of the mower as well as size of the deck it operates. There are a lot of factors that go into setting up a mower by the manufacturer. Let me ask would you classify my Cub Cadet Z-Force a commercial mower or a residential. It runs a Kohler Courage Pro 22hp Commercial grade engine with the ZT-2800 drives and a 48" fab deck??? Surely you would have too say No if your interpretation of the Grandstand is correct and according to your interpretations a mower with a 13 gauge stamped deck cannot be a commercial mower either.

Last edited:

Tom59

Threads
Commercial can mean a lot of things to a lot of folks. If you use it for making money its commercial, literally. Doesn't mean it will hold up. Key words - hold up- They should actually use different terms altogether. Like industrial use or heavy use. Or light industrial use and medium industrial use.
I'd say its a light industrial use machine.

Pro Turn 100xdz is light/medium industrial. I also think light residential use , medium residential use, and heavy residential use would apply to some models. Confused yet. :D

com·mer·cial
[kuh-mur-shuhl] Show IPA

adjective
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of commerce.

engaged in commerce.

prepared, done, or acting with sole or chief emphasis on salability, profit, or success: a commercial product; His attitude toward the theater is very commercial.

able to yield or make a profit: We decided that the small oil well was not commercial.

suitable or fit for a wide, popular market: Communications satellites are gradually finding a commercial use.