Is Freedom Z a commercial mower?

RatRacer

Threads
My recommendations to folk looking for mowers in the ride on class is to chat with the more service oriented dealers in their area, particularly if the perspective buyer is not service skilled. All machines need servicing of various levels during their useful life but not every owner can perform all needed maintenance. So chat with several reputable dealers in your area, discuss with them what types of service that you will or may need to have them perform and then make a decision as to which make and model you consider purchasing.
Bear in mind that none of the "big box" stores provide any type of servicing and many times their pricing isn't that great for the exact same machine from a local dealer. Many products sold by the big box stores are compromised somewhere to increase their profit margin, and this includes lawn mowers at every level.
Mad Mackie in CT

This sums it up in a nutshell.
This is exactly why I shifted my research venture from the interwebz, to using GPS/ highways to find dealers. Just like it's more fun to play poker in person, than on the web. Easier to tell when their bluffing.

Tom59

Threads
My recommendations to folk looking for mowers in the ride on class is to chat with the more service oriented dealers in their area, particularly if the perspective buyer is not service skilled. All machines need servicing of various levels during their useful life but not every owner can perform all needed maintenance. So chat with several reputable dealers in your area, discuss with them what types of service that you will or may need to have them perform and then make a decision as to which make and model you consider purchasing.
Bear in mind that none of the "big box" stores provide any type of servicing and many times their pricing isn't that great for the exact same machine from a local dealer. Many products sold by the big box stores are compromised somewhere to increase their profit margin, and this includes lawn mowers at every level.
Mad Mackie in CT

Especially if you have no mechanical ability. There are other reasons too to use a service dealer like questions get honest answers , if they sell more than one brand especially. If they are a one brand dealer be careful because they only can talk about limited experiences. They tend to favor their brand.
Dealer location is huge if you need service you also need to trailor your machine there somehow.

I shun -big box- because solid information is like pulling hens teeth. Occasionally you run into a fairly knowledgable associate but they are like finding a yeti. They grab the brochure and repeat it to you.

Find a dealer with a good reputation that is friendly , clean and willfully explains things to you. I always ask to see the service area and parts dept that tells alot about the operation. I found several in my area this alone limited my choices which is good because there are a LOT of choices today. My other must is made in USA. I had a dealer send out a 16 yr old kid who didn't know fabbed decks from baseball cards. He had to go look every single thing up. Super nice kid , but please I'm gonna spend 5-6k I want someone with brand knowledge , lots of it.

I like to service my own stuff for many reasons. But, if something breaks under warranty not much choice.

RatRacer

Threads
Especially if you have no mechanical ability. There are other reasons too to use a service dealer like questions get honest answers , if they sell more than one brand especially. If they are a one brand dealer be careful because they only can talk about limited experiences. They tend to favor their brand.
Dealer location is huge if you need service you also need to trailor your machine there somehow.

I shun -big box- because solid information is like pulling hens teeth. Occasionally you run into a fairly knowledgable associate but they are like finding a yeti. They grab the brochure and repeat it to you.

Find a dealer with a good reputation that is friendly , clean and willfully explains things to you. I always ask to see the service area and parts dept that tells alot about the operation. I found several in my area this alone limited my choices which is good because there are a LOT of choices today. My other must is made in USA. I had a dealer send out a 16 yr old kid who didn't know fabbed decks from baseball cards. He had to go look every single thing up. Super nice kid , but please I'm gonna spend 5-6k I want someone with brand knowledge , lots of it.

I like to service my own stuff for many reasons. But, if something breaks under warranty not much choice.

They're in the cooler isle.:rolleyes:

web_YT75W_O__22035.1358356217.345.345.jpg

Steve0853

Threads
postconstruction, regardless of whether a Freedom Z is technically a "commercial" mower or not, I would urge you to get as nice a mower as you can.

My son and I were where you are 5 years ago. We started with a used Grasshopper 225 ($4,500), which is a fine mower. It had enough power for even the most neglected yards. Any maintenance was able to be easily and quickly done.

If you are mowing 15 yards and do a good enough job to keep them, $2,000 or even $3,000 difference in price will be insignificant compared to scrambling around trying to get a new belt or clutch or something that gave out too early. If you have a problem that knocks you out of a Saturday (our only full day), then you are behind several yards and also, you are giving your customers an opportunity to try another lawn service.

I really do recommend a mower with the heavy deck. If you mow many strange yards, you're going to run full speed into a stump or iron pin or something that will really curl up one of those thin decks.

After cutting 2-3 years with that Grasshopper, we were able to add a couple Scags and that was just in time to avoid a lot of down time because of repair issues with the Grasshopper. As I said above, $2,000 or $3,000 amortized over 3 years is not a lot of difference if it means having a mower that will do the job.....all day, every day.

Good Luck to you, whichever mower you choose.