Fall Is For Planting! Really??

Green Girl

Threads
I have never had good luck planting new shrubs in the fall. They do much better when I plant them in the spring. Are there any ways to help them survive the winter better??

gardener

Threads
We do not have spring or fall seasons here but I guess you should know the kind of tree that will suit with the season you have. I assume, majority of the trees will grow successfully in Spring.

173abn

Threads
water every chance you can even in winter if you get a warm day,also plenty of mulch. russ

monica123

Threads
For me, mulch, blood and bone meal and some really good protection for the first year is really important. All of these should make for a really happy plant.

173abn

Threads
justin,so when the snow melts on a warm winter day then it's bad for the plants?I've seen it rain in Jan. then freeze at night with no apparent harm to the plants.just wondering. russ

Harriet

Threads
You might try an "antideisicant". (An anti-what??) It's a spray on coating onto the leaves or needles that slows down moisture loss from the plant from freezing or wind evaporation. You have do it before the temperature hits freezing, though.

minkyung

Threads
I do not understand why you plant in fall. Water freezes, kills the plant (I think, because I have not tried). Best way to plant is spring because of lots of water. That is my opinion at least.

adan

Threads
The question somehow reminds me about how rice farmers plant their crop. It's always timed with the coming rain. They want water to flow through the rice paddies by the time they plant.

Translating that to a temperate condition, I would therefore say that spring is the best to plant.