JD LT166 Won't Start

MontyDog

Forum Newbie
Threads
LT166 w/42 Freedom Deck. Purchased 2000. Regulary serviced at local dealership.

Been running fine all summer. Wanted to chew up some leaves but when I tried to start engine won't crank. Immediately thought of battery but just replaced it last year. When I turn the key to the start position all I hear is a buzzing noise from the engine compartment. Downloaded a service manual and it lists the fusible link as a potential problem. However, manual does not include an illustrated parts breakdown.

Anyone know where the fusible link is and if I can check and/or replace it myself? Trying to avoid a costly visit to the dealership.

Thanks...

lizard

Threads
LT166 w/42 Freedom Deck. Purchased 2000. Regulary serviced at local dealership.

Been running fine all summer. Wanted to chew up some leaves but when I tried to start engine won't crank. Immediately thought of battery but just replaced it last year. When I turn the key to the start position all I hear is a buzzing noise from the engine compartment. Downloaded a service manual and it lists the fusible link as a potential problem. However, manual does not include an illustrated parts breakdown.

Anyone know where the fusible link is and if I can check and/or replace it myself? Trying to avoid a costly visit to the dealership.

Thanks...

The Buzzing sound is usually associated with a low voltage problem to startermotor solenoid.
Check battery to see if it has a problem.......even though it is only 12 months old.
Other problem maybe the terminals are not tighten enough or loose wiring.:rolleyes:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...When I turn the key to the start position all I hear is a buzzing noise from the engine compartment.

Thanks...

I'm with lizard on this one... You either have a low battery or (most likely) bad connection from the battery to the starter.. or the battery negative terminal to the engine ...

If you have any battery power at the key switch it will not be your fusible link...
It is between the starter solenoid and power distribution and you may have another between the alternator output and the positive terminal on the solenoid... But since you have a buzzing sound you have some power so that should eliminate the fusible link... :smile:KennyV

PS.. .welcome to the forum... Wisconsin, manufacturing home of a lot of small engines...

Threads
MontyDog
Lizard and Kennyv are right about the fusible link that is that it is probably ok. You have a Briggs engine and lots of times the plactic gear on top of the starter will stick in the flywheel and not turn the engine. You can try to put your hands on top of the screen on top of engine and turn it counter clock wise to unstick the starter.(NOT WHILE TRYING TO START) You can watch this screen while bumping switch to see if it is trying to turn. Do not hold key in start position for long at a time or you will overheat starter and ruin it.
Also check connections and battery condition as they have already said. You can try to jump it off with jumper cables too.
Fifthstring27030

sadgrove

Threads
I have had a John Deere LT166 for about 20 years with no major issues but recently when I turned the key to the start position nothing happened even though it started a few minutes earlier.
So I checked the battery and have a full charge, I removed and cleaned the contacts on the starter switch. Still no action.
Then I turned the starter switch to the off position and shorted the solenoid which turned over the starter motor.
Then I turned the starter switch to the start position then shorted the solenoid and the engine started and ran.

Has anyone run into this issue and if yes what did you do to resolve the problem?

sadgrove

Threads
OK finally figured it out it was the switch that prevents starting while blades are engaged. When shorted out the mower started so at least I know what it is.