Briggs & stratton 14.5hp OHV carburetor or spark plug problem?

martingale

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & stratton 14.5hp OHV carburetor or spark plug problem?
my neighbor has a murray riding mower with briggs stratton 14.5hp ohv engine.
the engine cannot be started for a long time and last weekend we took a look into it.
when the ignition key is switched, the engine( or the radiator fun ) rotate for a quarter of circle then stopped.

I visually checked the spark plug and it looks shinny and looks fine to me.
but when we take out the spark plug and switch on the ignition key,( we did this to see if there's spark coming out of the s/plug ). i didn't observe any spark, but now the radiator fun rotate for a few rounds then stopped.

what can the problem be? my neighbor always thinks she need to replace the carburetor, but I just think we only need to service/clean the carb in the worst case. and she's buying a new s/plug this week.

any idea is welcomed.

thanks

Attachments

• WP_000581.jpg
    WP_000581.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 4
  • WP_000582.jpg
    WP_000582.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: 1st how much charge is in the battery? Check your oil level and check the oil for gasoline. It maybe hydro locked. Engine numbers would be helpful. Doubtful that it needs a new carb. just a good cleaning. But 1st things 1st, lets get the engine turning over correctly and then we will go from there.

martingale

Forum Newbie
Threads
:smile: 1st how much charge is in the battery? Check your oil level and check the oil for gasoline. It maybe hydro locked. Engine numbers would be helpful. Doubtful that it needs a new carb. just a good cleaning. But 1st things 1st, lets get the engine turning over correctly and then we will go from there.

hi Buckshot1
it's a briggs & stratton 14.5 hp OHV.
model 287707, type 1272-E1
the battery volt is 12v( we measured using a multimeter), actually we used the battery from the other mower which has the same volt setting with the problem one.
we put fresh new oil and gas.i even took out the hose at the carb side and the gas does flow out.

I just uploaded 2 picture i took from the mower and engine. hope it helps.
thank you:)

chance123

Threads
my neighbor has a murray riding mower with briggs stratton 14.5hp ohv engine.
the engine cannot be started for a long time and last weekend we took a look into it.
when the ignition key is switched, the engine( or the radiator fun ) rotate for a quarter of circle then stopped.

I visually checked the spark plug and it looks shinny and looks fine to me.
but when we take out the spark plug and switch on the ignition key,( we did this to see if there's spark coming out of the s/plug ). i didn't observe any spark, but now the radiator fun rotate for a few rounds then stopped.

what can the problem be? my neighbor always thinks she need to replace the carburetor, but I just think we only need to service/clean the carb in the worst case. and she's buying a new s/plug this week.

any idea is welcomed.

thanks

Was the spark plug grounded to the engine when you tested for spark?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hate to say this, but from your post, I would advise you to have a mechanic take a look at it. Don't feel you know how the engine works, to do a good job of troubleshooting this problem. Could cost you a lot of money just throwing parts at it.

Buckshot 1

Threads
I hate to say this, but from your post, I would advise you to have a mechanic take a look at it. Don't feel you know how the engine works, to do a good job of troubleshooting this problem. Could cost you a lot of money just throwing parts at it.

:smile: After further thought. I am going to 2nd Rivets statement.

martingale

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was the spark plug grounded to the engine when you tested for spark?

I think I should use a jumper line or power line to hook up the s/plug to the body of engine when I did that.
good point chance.