weedeater featherlite fl20 wont idle, cuts off under load

cc3337

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / weedeater featherlite fl20 wont idle, cuts off under load
Hello
i have an fl20 featherlite weedeater it has ran great for about 5 yrs and now it will not run, when cranked it immediately dies, and if it does run a few seconds it dies under load, when i move the choke lever to choke and back to run it revs up high and dies again, could anyone help me troubleshoot this problem? i have taken the muffler off to check spark arrestor clogging and also sprayed carb cleaner in the mouth of the carb while running

thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely carb issues have developed. The think with the trimmers with the primer bulb is the check valves in the carb like to stick after disassembly of the carb. Then they won't prime which can make for hard restarting. May just need a carb adjustment tweak, but if you have the special spline screws, only authorized poulan dealers are allowed by law to have them.

DaveTN

Threads
I make my own "specialized spline adjusting tools" out of the tips of old BIC pens and retractable pens that click. You'll pobably have to cut some off the tips of the retractables since they're too small to fit over the adjusting screw splines. The BIC is too big to fit snugly, so I fold some newspaper, or napkin to make a narrow band of paper to wedge in against the splines. Works GREAT!! I've done this ever since those #&@))!$@# things came out like that. I adjusted a Featherlite yesterday with that jig!