How to bypass the seat shut off switch

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bypassing switches is something that I have done to my Cub Cadets. I bypassed the lap bar switches on both the Z Force mowers to be able to mow in reverse and save some time. The thing is that if they were so important why do the Commercial mowers come without all the safety features. My GS doesn't have a switch on the platform so the blades shut down when I step off nor do the blades shut down when I move in reverse. Now I'm not saying what I did to my CC was right but it suited my needs, but for the manufacturer to think the Commercial operators are some how more suited to operate equipment than the homeowner is IMO an unreasonable thought. Rivets perhaps you can explain the manufacturers set ups and the thinking behind them?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can't speak for the manufactures, I just know the rules that the government has imposed on the dealers to protect the customers. We don't like them either, but must protect ourselves and our families by following them. Don't think many people even know why blade brakes and safety switches came about. The blade break bail started it all because two individuals wanted a faster way to trim the hedge between their properties. They started up their mower and raised it up and started trimming. As you can guess, something went wrong, both lost fingers, sued the mower manufacturer and won. The rest of the story is that the government is only Trying to help you by listing requirements and everyone else must CYA. If people don't want me to tell you that something your doing can get you in trouble, don't tell me your doing it. I'm not from the government, but this forum is for help and customer service, even if you don't like the answer.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't speak for the manufactures, I just know the rules that the government has imposed on the dealers to protect the customers. We don't like them either, but must protect ourselves and our families by following them. Don't think many people even know why blade brakes and safety switches came about. The blade break bail started it all because two individuals wanted a faster way to trim the hedge between their properties. They started up their mower and raised it up and started trimming. As you can guess, something went wrong, both lost fingers, sued the mower manufacturer and won. The rest of the story is that the government is only Trying to help you by listing requirements and everyone else must CYA. If people don't want me to tell you that something your doing can get you in trouble, don't tell me your doing it. I'm not from the government, but this forum is for help and customer service, even if you don't like the answer.

I know your not from the government and I know what your doing, saying and why. Thing that I don't understand and never have is and it seems there is a different set of rules for the homeowner vs the Commercial operator. The thing is that I'm fixing on going out the door in a few minutes work on a mower which I do six days a week and to my way of thinking the rules would need to be applied to to someone like me who uses equipment everyday and mows lawn for living more so than someone or a homeowner that maybe uses there mower once a week on there own property, but I guess maybe the greatest number of accidents occur to the homeowner than the Commercial operators. Would that be right.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would suspect that the average user of a commercial unit is a bit smarter the the average homer owner. Look at the cost of the unit. Would many home owners pay that price? Remember, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you". In today's law suit happy society, I'm surprised that there aren't more rules. All you have to do is read some of the posts on this forum and you will see individuals who are trying to do repairs, who should be allowed to own a screwdriver, as well as those who offer advice, because they slepted at a "Holiday Inn" last night.

MOmilkman

Threads
I would suspect that the average user of a commercial unit is a bit smarter the the average homer owner. Look at the cost of the unit. Would many home owners pay that price? Remember, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you". In today's law suit happy society, I'm surprised that there aren't more rules. All you have to do is read some of the posts on this forum and you will see individuals who are trying to do repairs, who should be allowed to own a screwdriver, as well as those who offer advice, because they slepted at a "Holiday Inn" last night.

With all due respect, since I am new here and your a long time standing member you can take my comment with a grain of salt but let me debunk your theory above that somehow a commercial operator is smarter than a average home owner.

I work with a lady who's husband owns and operates a lawn care business. They can't keep people on staff? Why? Because they are all losers. Can't show up to work on time, does drugs on the job...etc... What's my point? Well these are the people they hire (the only people that apply for this type of job) and all of them have felony records and they operate Commercial mowers. I have a little trouble when I hear that people are smarter if they operate a commercial mower.

Parkmower

Threads
Because they are all losers. Can't show up to work on time, does drugs on the job...the only people that apply for this type of job) .

Being new here this sure ain't a good way to make friends and receive help with your questions.
Ive cut grass for 16 years for one employer.
I took your remarks very offensive.
So go pound sand mr knowitall.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Milkman, no harm, no foul. In every profession there is that 5% who don't fit into the group and make everyone look bad. Even this forum has their share, people who think own a machine and slept at a "Holiday Inn" last night, are now experts on that brand and post that way.

Threads
I know your not from the government and I know what your doing, saying and why. Thing that I don't understand and never have is and it seems there is a different set of rules for the homeowner vs the Commercial operator. The thing is that I'm fixing on going out the door in a few minutes work on a mower which I do six days a week and to my way of thinking the rules would need to be applied to to someone like me who uses equipment everyday and mows lawn for living more so than someone or a homeowner that maybe uses there mower once a week on there own property, but I guess maybe the greatest number of accidents occur to the homeowner than the Commercial operators. Would that be right.

I dont know we have had a few commercial operators here roll over trying to mow steep inclines on ztrs, and get killed. Slopes, and ztr mowers dont go good together but there have been a few incidents here with kids that are to young to mow their own lawn get hurt. Homeowner, or commercial operator just depends on how safe you try to operate I would think?

MOmilkman

Threads
Being new here this sure ain't a good way to make friends and receive help with your questions.
Ive cut grass for 16 years for one employer.
I took your remarks very offensive.
So go pound sand mr knowitall.

What I meant to say was they are the only people that they have been able to hire for their lawn care business. I was out of line to say only people that do that are losers. Not what I intended to say but none the less, I said it. I owe you a apology for that I suppose. No doubt there are a lot of fine folks out there that don't own lawn care business's but still work in the profession.
I'm usually pretty good at not raising anyone's ire in a forum setting. I guess all streaks must come to a end at some point. ;-)

Forum Newbie
Threads
"The rest of the story is that the government is only Trying to help you "

WOW!!! I hope that is sarcasm

But seriously, I am grateful for the info about bypassing the seat shut off switch.