How to bypass the seat shut off switch

jbeambabie

Forum Newbie
Threads
How's it going. New member here.
I just bought a Craftsman YT3000 this year and I'm already growing tired of the seat shut off switch. It is VERY sensitive. Under the seat there are 4 wires. 2 are black (I assume they're ground :rolleyes:) and one of them is jumped to the other. the other 2 are different colors. I'm not an electrician but can follow directions well. Do any of you guys know how I might bypass that switch so I can stop cursing when I mow. :cool:

okiepc

Threads
:welcome: to the forum, I can't answer your question but someone will be by to help you, just wanted to say welcome.:thumbsup:

jbeambabie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a couple ways and links as below. Do this at your own risk as there is a safety reason for the switch and take into account who else may use the mower.

Seat Safety Switch Modification

bypass a seat switch

Thank you.
Jumping the wires didn't seem to help. I have know idea why :confused3: I'd figure that all it needed was to complete the circuit.
Anyway.... This is how I fixed it for 10 cents or less.

***Disclaimer DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK*****
I did this because I am the only person that uses the tractor and I ALWAYS shut off the blades before I get off or pick anything up in the yard!!! My yard is also flat so I don't have to worry about the tractor rolling.

1. Remove the seat
2. Remove (Twist) the seat shut-off assembly
3. Seperate the shut-off switch (grey) and the outer housing (black).
4. Super glue 2 nickels (or washers to the same thickness) to the inside of the outer housing. ***This is used to depress the shut off button when assembled***
5. Put everything back together

1.jpg2.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What happens when you want to sell or trade in this unit? I know how to disable all the switches but you'll never see me post them. Disclaimers don't mean anything. Disabling safety devices just is not worth it, no matter what the reason behind it.

jbeambabie

Forum Newbie
Threads
What happens when you want to sell or trade in this unit? I know how to disable all the switches but you'll never see me post them. Disclaimers don't mean anything. Disabling safety devices just is not worth it, no matter what the reason behind it.

Take a min and cut em' off. Everything will be just fine. The shut off on my tractor was so sensitive that it would stall when I went around a tree and leaned a little or when I hit a bump. I've read many complaints on this concerning this model. Hey, it suits my needs just fine. This isn't for everyone, I understand. That said, if the moderator wants to remove this.... then I understand.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also be aware that in some states, if you take the mower to a repair shop they are required by law to check all safety equipment and repair any defects before returning mower to owner.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What does that mean. It means if I see a safety switch cut off, I must replace the safety switch or switches and test that each and every one is working and repair the entire circuit. This is all at the cost to the customer, there is no waiver that you can sign. The only thing we can do is tell you to take it somewhere else, because we are not only liable if something should happen, but can also receive a state and federal fine.

jbeambabie

Forum Newbie
Threads
What does that mean . It means if I see a safety switch cut off, I must replace the safety switch or switches and test that each and every one is working and repair the entire circuit. This is all at the cost to the customer, there is no waiver that you can sign. The only thing we can do is tell you to take it somewhere else, because we are not only liable if something should happen, but can also receive a state and federal fine.

Or....... the owner that put the washers/nickels on there could simply spend 3 min to take off the seat and remove them before taking it to be serviced. It is not a huge deal!!! Geez people.... I asked a question to help a 37 year old enjoy cutting his lawn. I don't need a lecture on things. I'm fully aware that I shouldn't stick my finger/hand/foot/tongue in the blades as it will cut them off.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I answered the question to help the hundreds of people operate their equipment properly and safely. You're not the only one who reads this forum. Those of us who are mechanics have to give out information that addresses the problem for everyone who reads it. Even though I am not working on any of the pieces of equipment I reply to, I still have a customer service side that must warn the customer when they are doing something wrong. Any good mechanic or friend would do the same thing. Also, I do believe that it is a little difficult to remove nickels which a super glued in, without damaging something.