How to bypass the seat shut off switch

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
Wow - some of you are hanging on pretty tight here.

Like the guy said, he's trying to just mow his lawn in his way without the tractor constantly backfiring and shutting off every time he leans away from the holly bush that takes more blood than the red cross.

I too have a newer (2 yrs) YT3000 and the seat shutoff is a royal pain in the posterior. I am 240 lbs and 6'3" tall and it was constantly malfunctioning. Another modification I made on that tractor was to take the deck height handle and chuck that in my bench vise and then use my MAPP torch to bend that sucker down instead of the straight up position which only served to try to castrate me every time I got on and off the mower with my deck at 4 or higher.

Modifying equipment to work for the owner is an age old thing. Garden tractors didn't have safety switches years ago and we managed to only maim and kill a few operators. I think that for a mower to be safe, it first has to be fully functional. If the seat switch is too sensitive and it provides no adjustment feature to make it less sensitive, then you do what you have to do to make it work for you.

Ease up and don't hold on so tightly. We'll all live to sever another limb in a rollover if that happens, but in the mean time, where's the safety switch on the grass chute that prevents owners from clearing clogs with spinning blades and losing fingers. I know a ton more people with missing fingers from trying to clear plugged grass in the catcher than from roll-overs and seat switch malfunctions.
:2cents:

Mike0311

Forum Newbie
Threads
New toro timecutter 16-44 zero turn owner. Anyone familiar with how to disconnect safety seat shutoff switch?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The wiring diagram I was looking at looks like you need to just disconnect the gray wire. What is the sears model number. 917-28921 ??? I will need a wiring diagram to tell you for sure and that is why I will need the model #.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
New toro timecutter 16-44 zero turn owner. Anyone familiar with how to disconnect safety seat shutoff switch?

Have you tried lifting the seat and disconnecting the switch and using a jumper wire across the female end. That worked on my Cub Cadet ztr.

devrep

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you.
Jumping the wires didn't seem to help. I have know idea why :confused3: I'd figure that all it needed was to complete the circuit.
Anyway.... This is how I fixed it for 10 cents or less.

***Disclaimer DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK*****
I did this because I am the only person that uses the tractor and I ALWAYS shut off the blades before I get off or pick anything up in the yard!!! My yard is also flat so I don't have to worry about the tractor rolling.

1. Remove the seat
2. Remove (Twist) the seat shut-off assembly
3. Seperate the shut-off switch (grey) and the outer housing (black).
4. Super glue 2 nickels (or washers to the same thickness) to the inside of the outer housing. ***This is used to depress the shut off button when assembled***
5. Put everything back together

View attachment 13958View attachment 13959
I thank you for the tip, I did it a little differently, I cut two pieces of paint stirrer sticks the sized to fit the inside of the switch no glue just set them in there and put the switch back to gather and worked great !!

tigercat

Threads
I would press the switch down and then drill a hole thru the body and slip a pin into the body to keep it down. Another tractor I just cut out the offending wire / wires then thru away the wiring harness.
My latest craftsman tractor pissed me off one day and I did the later. 2 years later (this spring) I was attaching a homemade rear attaching roller / plug maker while the machine was running. Because this roller is a large drum filled with water (when filled with water it's rather heavy). I could not attach the hitch (while sitting on the seat) so I reached at the bottom of the tractor and disconnected the transmission by pulling that pin on the lower rear area of the tractor. Once I pulled the pin, I got off the tractor and stood behind the tractor inside the V-hitch area of the roller. I pushed the tractor around so the hitch pin would drop into place.

This was done with the tractor running at fast idle (the transmission lever was still at full speed). At the time all the safeties were removed, No clutch, or seat switch were working.

Well, as I finished hooking up the roller / plug attachment, stupidly, I reached down to the bottom of the tractor as my leg was behind the tractor still in the v-hitch area and reactivated the transmission lever. My right leg was in front of the roller, between the machine and roller. The machine lurched forward and I was run over by my own roller! I nearly broke my leg. The only thing that saved me was I literally pulled my leg free of the roller. As I limped off from under the roller, the machine was traveling down the back yard without the operator...

When I caught up to it, it went 40' or so until I shut it off.

Long story short, I repaired the wiring and I reattached all the safeties. I still have a small scab on my leg months later were the plug cut thru my shin. I was stupid for letting the machine run as I attached the roller, but accidents happen and if the machine was working as it should, I wouldn't have got hurt...

Either keep your brain engaged at all times, or leave the safeties alone. IMHO I'm getting senile so I reattached the safties.... This roller wouldn't have got me 30 years ago.:laughing:

tigercat

Threads
I dont know we have had a few commercial operators here roll over trying to mow steep inclines on ztrs, and get killed. Slopes, and ztr mowers dont go good together but there have been a few incidents here with kids that are to young to mow their own lawn get hurt. Homeowner, or commercial operator just depends on how safe you try to operate I would think?

When I was 15-ish I rolled dads Sears 6hp riding lawnmower over on a very steep edge of his property. The mower rolled 3 or 4 full times and stopped on the tires. I didn't get hurt but I was more afraid of him then of getting hurt with the machine.....Back then there were no safties. I think the machine stalled out as it tumbled over and over down the hill.:ashamed:

Come to think of it, he done the same trick, but he ended up bending the stearing wheel. He said he was leaning over on the seat and a tire hit a stump and over he went. The 26" blade was running wide open as he pushed his leg clear of the machine. He got lucky that day from getting hurt bad.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or....... the owner that put the washers/nickels on there could simply spend 3 min to take off the seat and remove them before taking it to be serviced. It is not a huge deal!!! Geez people.... I asked a question to help a 37 year old enjoy cutting his lawn. I don't need a lecture on things. I'm fully aware that I shouldn't stick my finger/hand/foot/tongue in the blades as it will cut them off.

HA HA HA HA.... I was thinking the same thing. But us small engine guys like to refresh our attorney skills from time to time.