Long term generator storage advice

turbofiat124

Threads
I got a generator that I only use once or twice a year when the power goes out usually in January after a heavy wet snowstorm. God forbid I have to use it more often that that.

I got it from Big Lots. It's a got Chonda engine. If that matters.

So far this is my "long term" storage technique. Disconnect the fuel hose to the carb, connect another long hose which runs into a gas can and drain all the gas out of the tank. Place a brick under one of the support bars so that all the fuel is headed toward the carb. Then let it run until the engine dies.

Someone told me this was not a good idea. And maybe I can see why. Dad's tractor sat over the winter and all the fuel evaporated out of the fuel bowl and the float valve stuck closed from residue and I had to tear it apart and give the carb a good cleaning.

Normally I don't bother using a fuel stabalizer in my lawnmowers. They say fuel goes bad in 6 months but I can't find any evidence of this. I have used one year old gas with no issues. I just cranked my lawnmower up for the first time yesterday with fuel I had purchased last September and although it stalled on me a couple of times after cranking it, it eventually stayed running.

Although any fuel I have in containers usually stays sealed up so it can't evaporate.

So should I keep some treated fuel in this generator and say crank it up and let it run for an hour at least once a year rather than removing all the gas?

Another consideration. I normally don't have any issues with 2 cycle engines started after they have been in hybernation. It's usually the 4 strokes that give me the most trouble.

I'm wondering if the oil in the gas helps prevent the float valve from sticking. Or perhaps most 2 cycle oil has a stabazlier already in it.

Just wondering if it would hurt any of the seals to add a gallon of gasoline treated with 2 cycle oil to this generator for long term storage.
And of course use non ethanol gasoline. Or treat it first otherwise.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most 2 stroke oil does have stabilizer in it. As far as the genny. Even running it till it dies leaves a small amount of fuel in the bottom of the bowl, which will evaporate and clog the jets. On the carbs with the drain screw toward the bottom of the carb, you can blow out the remaining fuel from the bowl for long term storage.