Having problems cutting weeds with my GH 220

schmidtsm

Threads
I am having a problem with cutting performance on my GH 220 48”. I bought it at the end of the season so I don’t have a lot of experience with Grasshoppers. I am cutting approximately 3 acres. 2 acres of weeds and crap grass and 1 acre of St. Augustine. With the mulching kit and Gators on the acre of St. Augustine was not a problems and I love the results. With the 2 rough acres the mower will bog down and I can’t go more than 1-2 MPH with the deck up in the 5 inch position. This grass/weeds/clovers is about 8 inches long. Also the cut is horrible. I live in Houston so we do about 9 months of cutting as our summers are long. I have cut the grass in the morning and late evening when the grass is bone dry and still the same results. The grass gets packed under the deck and the MPH slow down with a horrible cut. I have cut the back 2 acres at 5” deck level then the next day at 3” with no relief to my problems. So I took off the mulching kit, sharpened the blades and it helped on the back 2 acres some but it is still a slow cut that looks terrible. I am getting a line down the middle of my track that mower is missing. I haven’t put different blades on it since I took off the mulching unit nor do I know which type to try. Before I bought this mower second hand a Grasshopper dealer mentioned that due to the GH anvil deck design they don’t do when in the rough grass. I thought it was a sales pitch as he had more of another brand in his showroom. I am kind of at my wits end and I am thinking I bought the wrong mower. I am I expecting too much?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am having a problem with cutting performance on my GH 220 48”. I bought it at the end of the season so I don’t have a lot of experience with Grasshoppers. I am cutting approximately 3 acres. 2 acres of weeds and crap grass and 1 acre of St. Augustine. With the mulching kit and Gators on the acre of St. Augustine was not a problems and I love the results. With the 2 rough acres the mower will bog down and I can’t go more than 1-2 MPH with the deck up in the 5 inch position. This grass/weeds/clovers is about 8 inches long. Also the cut is horrible. I live in Houston so we do about 9 months of cutting as our summers are long. I have cut the grass in the morning and late evening when the grass is bone dry and still the same results. The grass gets packed under the deck and the MPH slow down with a horrible cut. I have cut the back 2 acres at 5” deck level then the next day at 3” with no relief to my problems. So I took off the mulching kit, sharpened the blades and it helped on the back 2 acres some but it is still a slow cut that looks terrible. I am getting a line down the middle of my track that mower is missing. I haven’t put different blades on it since I took off the mulching unit nor do I know which type to try. Before I bought this mower second hand a Grasshopper dealer mentioned that due to the GH anvil deck design they don’t do when in the rough grass. I thought it was a sales pitch as he had more of another brand in his showroom. I am kind of at my wits end and I am thinking I bought the wrong mower. I am I expecting too much?

Gator blades are not made for tall thick grass or weeds.
Gator blades are made to keep the grass under the deck.

Try some high left blades for bagging.

The line you leave is from the blades not turning fast enough

Best thing to do is not to let it get so high
And mow counterclockwise.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))