MZ-5424S

lonestarjeff

Threads
Well, I pulled the trigger & ordered a new MZ-5424S. I chose that model because it has heavy duty transmissions(ZT-3100)& the heavy duty Kawasaki engine(FS-series). Though neither of those features are considered "commercial grade" I think they will be more than adequate for my 2.5 acres. Also, the MZ has the larger 22" rear tires & 13" fronts...they supposedly ride a bit better, but I was more interested in weight distribution on softer ground. I have a 10-year-old Kawasaki Mule w/ the v-twin water-cooled engine which has been flawless, so I'm hoping they put the same quality in their air-cooled versions. From what I've researched so far, they have.

There are SO many choices out there in the residential or professional lines it's quite a task to figure out what you're getting! I ended up making a kind of spreadsheet to keep the details straight.

My budget was $5000 "out the door" including a collection system. All total my package came out to $4500.

I was on the fence about the bagging system. We'll see if it is a waste of money, but I need something maybe 3 times a year to collect when we have a rainy stretch. It'll be put to the test right away as this will be my 1st cutting & I'm a week late already due to the Dixon expiring.

Jeff

RTMower

Threads
Great choice. Good for you! Hope you enjoy it.

lonestarjeff

Threads
just delivered/in the crate

It finally arrived by semi-trailer this afternoon....still in the crate....

It was quite a job getting that crate off the semi onto my trailer, even w/ the lift gate. I've knocked most of the crate top apart, but still have to put the seat & rear tires on.

lonestarjeff

Threads
1st mow w/ pics

I completely un-crated the MZ friday afternoon....I jacked it up on the crate base & installed the rear tires, then used the tractor to lift it off the crate & trailer. Checked all the fluids(crankcase & transaxles were both a bit low), added fuel, & hooked up the battery. I ordered a bagging kit to go w/ it, so I went ahead & assembled it too.

I had a tough test right out of the box since this is the 1st time I've been able to mow this season. It passed w/ flying colors. I had about an acre around the house that needed bagging, & I didn't have any problems w/ clogging. I did not try to cut it all the way down in one pass, though.

The other outlying yard does not grow as heavy, so I was fine w/o the bagger. BTW, the kit is very easy to install & use. Also very easy to remove when you're done w/ it. The 3 bags slide off the rack & have handles in all the right places for dumping the clippings. Here's some pics w/ the carrier installed, but bagging kit removed....

The mower itself is such a huge performance step above my old Dixon I'm still in shock. I never had any complaints about the job the old mower did, or the speed it moved & cut, but the MZ runs circles around it. It out-weighs the Dixon by 200#, but it's much faster groundspeed(I'd say double). The Kawasaki V-twin is quieter than the old single-cylinder Briggs & uses about the same amount of fuel. I had to get used to the control sticks...much more sensitive, but got the hang of it quickly. Truly what I'd describe as fingertip control.

Jeff

porkchop

Threads
WOW nice mower! Funny you got this model cause I am getting the MZ 5225 next week but love the fact you have the bagging system. I am possibly re-thinking my decision. I am upgrading from my beloved Snapper 33" rear engine rider with Hi-Vac. I was going to retire that as the leaf getter upper but this makes me question the mz 5225 since the bagger for it needs the assist motor for the catcher $$$. Again nice mower and thanks for the pics. Ill have to go research what that bagger you got cost. sounds like you got a great deal! Take Care.

lonestarjeff

Threads
.....this makes me question the mz 5225 since the bagger for it needs the assist motor for the catcher $$$.... Ill have to go research what that bagger you got cost.....

The bagging kit I ordered was $549 w/ "free shipping" from Mowers Direct, but I noticed the suggested retail on the Husky site is $499. Not sure what a dealer would sell it for. That is interesting the 5225 needs the assist motor version of the bagger(which is double the price). I don't know what's different about the the two mowers other than engine brand. Just FYI, I rec'd some bad feedback on the power assist bagger when I was researching & shopping. Nothing about performance, but that it was a pain to install & remove.

porkchop

Threads
The bagging kit I ordered was $549 w/ "free shipping" from Mowers Direct, but I noticed the suggested retail on the Husky site is $499. Not sure what a dealer would sell it for. That is interesting the 5225 needs the assist motor version of the bagger(which is double the price). I don't know what's different about the the two mowers other than engine brand. Just FYI, I rec'd some bad feedback on the power assist bagger when I was researching & shopping. Nothing about performance, but that it was a pain to install & remove.

Im not 100% sure the MZ5225 takes the blower assist vac collection system but I think it does because that mower (MZ5225) has a fabricated deck. I think the only difference between the model you got and the one I want is the decks and engines. However if I can get the model mower you have and that bagging system for the price you got yours for, I may end up with your setup. Man that's just a lot of machine and a nice collection system you have. Any way I will let you know what I end up with. I will stop in Monday and talk with the salesman to see what he would charge me for your setup. Cant wait to cut my mowing time in half or more!!!

lonestarjeff

Threads
Im not 100% sure the MZ5225 takes the blower assist vac collection system but I think it does because that mower (MZ5225) has a fabricated deck.....

I went back & looked at the website, you're right, the blower kit is the only bagger that fits the 5225 deck. I guess the heavier deck & blower are more of a commercial touch. I don't think I would try my bagger w/ heavy dew or other wet conditions.

Good luck on monday.

porkchop

Threads
I went back & looked at the website, you're right, the blower kit is the only bagger that fits the 5225 deck. I guess the heavier deck & blower are more of a commercial touch. I don't think I would try my bagger w/ heavy dew or other wet conditions.

Good luck on monday.

Well Lonestarjeff I got my mower Husqvarna mz5225. Nice machine. I can see why you were so happy with getting yours even though mine is a little different. I hope it lasts! sure seems like it is built to. Again thanks for sharing your experience and I will try to get some pics of mine up soon. take care.

Jake in CT

Threads
Congrats on the mower Jeff!

After searching waaay too much, I think I'm getting the same machine with a bagger. I was debating between this and the kubota and Hustler, but I think Husky is what I'm doing.