Troybilt Pony Riding mower - Oil Coming from exhaust

thenewblackhand

Forum Newbie
Threads
To elaborate. This is my mothers mower and it probably doesnt get the care it needs until now I just built a shed for it and am trying to get it back to good running condition. The problem started last week when I went to start it and gas was rushing into the carb .. I noticed a spring was missing and I dont know what its called but when you move the throttle it pushes a metal clip which was missing a spring right above the carberator. I Somewhat replaced the spring so it makes the action like its supposed to and cranked fine that day. I changed the blades this morning on an incline of the back of the truck (Ranger) Pulled it back down cranked it and white smoke and oil starts bellowing out the exhaust.

Any Ideas?

I dont know the tech terms for some things but I can answer any questions for details I may have left out or can describe a part. Thanks for the help guys.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...
Your problem is typical of a fuel flooded carburetor, it can happen with Any make and model...
There are a few things that will cause it, but the usual is stuck float or leaking needle valve in the carb float bowl.
First thing to do is check the engine oil level, (it's likely going to be Overfull, gasoline is going to find it's way into the crankcase when it is unchecked at the carb). Generally when the engine is off and not actually running is when the fuel will flood into the oil.
Your problem may be a one time event, But it most likely will happen again.
You will need to CHANGE the oil if it has any gasoline in it. :smile:KennyV

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may have just tip it the wrong way, let it run for a few minute's to see if its stops, then if it does, check the oil level.

thenewblackhand

Forum Newbie
Threads
How long would be a little while, I let it run for like 45 seconds, but didnt want to damage anything.... and to the first poster, should I just drain all the oil then refill?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the oil smells like gas, you need to drain and replace the oil.

Mini Motors

Threads
Kenny touched on it. But unless you fix the float issue, it will most likely happen again.

thenewblackhand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny touched on it. But unless you fix the float issue, it will most likely happen again.

How do you fix a float? Im not a genius with engines, but can do something if told how. Any tips or starting points? Is it worth my time? Thanks for the replies folks

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should be able to fix the carburetor by yourself, if we know what type of carburetor you have, post up the make of engine and model numbers. someone here should then be able to help you.

melsauto

Threads
You should be able to fix the carburetor by yourself, if we know what type of carburetor you have, post up the make of engine and model numbers. someone here should then be able to help you.

I have a similar problem oil leaks from muffler hard to start need to squirt starting fluid to get it started 20 years old mower. I will be very thankful if you can give me directions.

Troy-Bilt 34363 - Troy-Bilt 33" Wide-Cut Walk-Behind Mower

196702-014201

9406301B

jester5900

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do you know gas was rushing into it? Does it have a air cleaner? Did you have to put gas in it, if it was a stuck float your fuel tank would be empty. The smoke is due to the angle at which you changed the blades, oil got were its not suppose to. Make sure it has oil in it and use it until it stops.