Engine won't turn over

rowdy45176

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a MTD riding mower with engine model number 313707 that won't crank over past the compression stage. I installed a new starter and have tried jump starting it off my car and will crank till it reaches the compression. Installed new spark plug and without plug will spin. Any ideas before sending to the scrap yard?? thank you

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the plug, and the valve cover. Turn the engine over by hand while watching the piston. Set the piston 1/4 inch past TDC with both valves closed. Set the intake valve at .003-005 and the exhaust at .005-.007. The intake valve should be the bottom valve on the head when looking from above. reassembly and see what happens, If that doesn't fix it post back for further instructions for checking the compression release.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have Kohler that does this does not have adjustable valves I turn the key and give it a help by hand. Been this way for years

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

rowdy45176

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the plug, and the valve cover. Turn the engine over by hand while watching the piston. Set the piston 1/4 inch past TDC with both valves closed. Set the intake valve at .003-005 and the exhaust at .005-.007. The intake valve should be the bottom valve on the head when looking from above. reassembly and see what happens, If that doesn't fix it post back for further instructions for checking the compression release.

Will try that. going to try and start with an impact wrench first.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please don't try with an impart wrench, unless you are a gambling man. Could get very expensive. Follow IL's recommendation and adjust the valve clearance.

rowdy45176

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please don't try with an impart wrench, unless you are a gambling man. Could get very expensive. Follow IL's recommendation and adjust the valve clearance.

Adjusted valves and IT STARTED, thank you for all the response. And yes I was going to try an impact if not started. Now for the other mower

John184

Forum Newbie
Threads
1996 Montgomery Wards Powr Kraft 18hp 42 in hydro with B&S twin cylinder.
Had the same problem for years & it would kill batteries, starter solenoids & starters.
Finally had a local generator/starter repair shop owner tell me to replace the battery cables with larger larger cables especially the ground cable to the engine.
I replaced the standard cables with # 2 sized cables.
I ran a ground from the battery direct to the engine mounting bolt.
Did that & that took care of the problem.
This is still one cutting machine.