Engine Engine will not stay running

boaterh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris IS 1500 with the Kawasaki 19 HP engine. The engine starts fine, I can engage the blade and mow for about 5 minutes then the engine shuts off. I sent it to the local repair shop last fall. They replaced the fuel pick up in the tank, replaced the connection to the fuel tank, replaced the fuel hose and filter and sent it back. It ran fine for one lawn mowing then it was back to the same symptoms. It appears to run out of fuel. If you pull the choke up it will stay running for a few seconds longer. After leaving the mower set for a few minutes it will fire back up and run for another couple of minutes. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect you may have a bad fuel cap. Try opening the cap 1/4 turn and mow that way. If it solves the problem, the fuel caps vent is not working and you will have to replace the cap.

boaterh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried removing the gas cap and it doesn't appear to help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To rule out the certain parts I now do the following. I have a small clear fuel filter with a short fuel line attached. I first install this between the pump and the tank. You can watch the fuel flow and see if there is fuel in the filter when the engine quits. No fuel would mean we have to trace the problem back to the tank.

gregjo1948

Threads
It may be a faulty fuel solenoid. gregjo1948

boaterh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information. I will try the separate gas supply to rule out other issues.