Chain saw starts but stalls after a few seconds

robc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have tried every possible thing I can think of: new spark plug, checked compression, replaced all gas lines, replaced primer bulb, disassembled and cleaned carb, changed gas. Saw will start, but it will only burn the gas from the primer bulb. Throttle works fine, and I can keep the saw going if I gently keep pumping the primer bulb. As soon as I stop, the saw stalls out. Obviously the carb is not pulling the gas from the bulb, but I dont know what else to do.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Need to rebuild the carb with a new diaphragm kit. No one is probably dried out.

okiepc

Threads
1st off:welcome: next thing how about a brand name and model so we can better help:thumbsup:

robc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
What happens when the diaphrams get dried out? They let in air that takes away from the fuel line suction?

robc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's a Mac 3200

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know the exact carb you have, (Zama, Walbro, Tilliston) but with any of these the diaphragms and gaskets, (there are both pump and shut off) will dry out and and either not stretch properly or not seal properly. They may look good, but will not function. Another problem customers make when they take them apart, is that they put them back together wrong. If you reverse the gasket and the diaphragm, on either side they will not work.

robc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked and it is a Zama. I will check to see that the gaskets are in properly, and look for a rebuild kit. Thanks for your help.