lx 188 getting no fire on one cylinder

jayrus544

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lx188 is not getting fire on one cylinder. I've switched the coils and plugs for one side to the other. Everything works on the right side but I can't get the left side to fire. I think it is in the wire that runs to the coil. where does that wire run to? Thanks Jay

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm assuming you have a Kohler twin cylinder engine. Check the ground wire which runs between the two coils. It is probably frayed or cut.

jayrus544

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm assuming you have a Kohler twin cylinder engine. Check the ground wire which runs between the two coils. It is probably frayed or cut.

Kawasaki motor

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Still the same check the ground wire. Also, with the ground wire off on the bad cylinder, check the coil for spark.

macguy59

Threads
When you switched coils did you leave the plug wire attached ? If it's not a ground issue then pull both spark plugs and turn the engine by hand while looking in the spark plug hole on the dead cylinder. You should see the piston moving inside. If you don't see the piston moving . . . you have a busted connecting rod. If you see the piston moving I would take off the valve cover on that side and make sure the valves are opening and closing properly (again while turning the engine by hand). Exhaust valves are notorious for sticking open which would kill the compression on that cylinder as will a valve that is not working at all because the push rod has fallen out.