Repairs Lawn Boy drive wheel locks up

Pike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a model 10864 with rear drive. It is about 6 years old. The rear drive wheel seems not to disengage. In addition, the other rear wheel has been locking up while in use and engaged. Any thoughts on the problem and how to fix? Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say you either have worn wheel drive gears or the teeth in the wheels themselves are worn. Also may be that the drive gears are frozen on the shaft. If the wheels wobble it could be the wheel bushings are worn. Could be a combination of all of these. Is your model 10684 not 10864?

Pike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say you either have worn wheel drive gears or the teeth in the wheels themselves are worn. Also may be that the drive gears are frozen on the shaft. If the wheels wobble it could be the wheel bushings are worn. Could be a combination of all of these. Is your model 10684 not 10864?

It is 10684 with a Tecumseh engine, my error! The wheels do not wobble. I pulled the cover on the drive gear and the teeth look fine and can be turned. I am wondering it if has to do with the cable that engages the drive.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you pulled the drive wheels off and checked the teeth on the wheels and drive gears. Drive gears should spin freely.

Pike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you pulled the drive wheels off and checked the teeth on the wheels and drive gears. Drive gears should spin freely.

Not yet but will do. Many thanks.

Pike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not yet but will do. Many thanks.

Pulled both drive wheels, one gear was completely off. Realign and reassembled. Trail run indicates fixed though still slips a bit....much better! The real test will be mowing the next time. Thanks.