MTD Yard Machines mower blades won't engage

94SupraTT

Threads
model 13ah762f752
serial 1c206b20224

My mower will start however whenever I try to engage the blades they won't start

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you turn them by hand, WITH THE UNIT OFF? Has the belt jumped? Are all pulleys free? Is the belt tight? Need a little more info.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the model number that looks like the model with the deck engagement on the right fender. Possibly a broken engagement cable. they like to break right at the end were the tension springs connects

94SupraTT

Threads
Can you turn them by hand, WITH THE UNIT OFF? Has the belt jumped? Are all pulleys free? Is the belt tight? Need a little more info.

I can turn them. The belt is in place however there isn't much tension on it. I put a new belt on because I thought perhaps the belt was stretched out. I took pictures to make sure I routed it properly....same issue with the new belt.

From the model number that looks like the model with the deck engagement on the right fender. Possibly a broken engagement cable. they like to break right at the end were the tension springs connects

The handle that engages the belt works but it seems like it just does not put enough tension on the belt. Should I drop the deck and take a picture?

edit-It looks like when I put the handle down a spring pulls back the bracket that the idle pulley (I think) sits on. I'm not sure if that spring has enough tension on it. Might that be the problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Had an issue with a customer mowers a few years back, may of been the same model. In his cause his wife was mowing, and heard a pop, and then the deck wouldn't engage. After close examination, found that the frame around the engine mount has stress relieved, and the front of the engine drops about the thickness of a washer. Because of how far the deck drive pulley is located from the engine, it moved the deck drive pulley on the engine back about 3/4 inch. After shimming the front of the engine with a washer, has been working fine since.

94SupraTT

Threads
Had an issue with a customer mowers a few years back, may of been the same model. In his cause his wife was mowing, and heard a pop, and then the deck wouldn't engage. After close examination, found that the frame around the engine mount has stress relieved, and the front of the engine drops about the thickness of a washer. Because of how far the deck drive pulley is located from the engine, it moved the deck drive pulley on the engine back about 3/4 inch. After shimming the front of the engine with a washer, has been working fine since.

I'll look under there in a few minutes and post what I see.

94SupraTT

Threads

Does this drop occur when the handle is engaged? I couldn't see any movement when I engaged the handle if so.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Once the front of his engine dropped it stayed there. Look at the engine, and how it sits on the frame. Does the front of the engine look like its lower than the rear. look at the big pulley on the engine where the deck belt goes. Does it look like it is slightly leaning toward the rear of the mower.

94SupraTT

Threads
Once the front of his engine dropped it stayed there. Look at the engine, and how it sits on the frame. Does the front of the engine look like its lower than the rear. look at the big pulley on the engine where the deck belt goes. Does it look like it is slightly leaning toward the rear of the mower.

Sorry. I've been working my my car. I'll check this out when I get in today..

94SupraTT

Threads
So........I'm an idiot. Somehow I had the wrong belt, AND it was misrouted. I bought the correct belt and now it cuts HOWEVER, now my my mower won't start. lol I fixed one problem and now another has popped up.