Primer bulb not priming enough

wch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the primer bulb on my 6.5 hp B&S but still have to pump 40 or more times or pour gas in carb to start, Can hear a little suction noise and see a little fuel in base of bulb housing but not enough to start . Runs fine once running. Bulb seems to be properly seated? Help please.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I replaced the primer bulb on my 6.5 hp B&S but still have to pump 40 or more times or pour gas in carb to start, Can hear a little suction noise and see a little fuel in base of bulb housing but not enough to start . Runs fine once running. Bulb seems to be properly seated? Help please.

Did you take the air filter housing off to do the primer or install it with the filter housing on the engine?
If you took it off then the gasket between the housing and carb is not sealing the channel in the airfilter housing to the primer hole on the carb.
All you are doing is priming but no fuel going to carb for start up.
Add another gasket to it which depending on the engine is part number 795629 from Briggs.

wch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed the housing. I'll try the gasket. Thanks!

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello wch! Welcome to LawnWorld.com.

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower forum.

Good luck with your repair! :thumbsup:

Briana
LawnWorld.com
Administrator

txzrider

Threads
by the way the double gasket trick fixed mine last year.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Just went through the same thing with a Briggs. I was told to check the air box for cracks because it may have been over tightened causing it to warp, thus not sealing against the gasket and carb. I think a previous owner may have done just that because the metal threaded piece that the outer cover screws into was partially pulled out of the plastic case. I did the double gasket trick too, and made sure not to do a Magilla Gorilla tightening job when putting it on.

wch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all replies. I'm trying to locate a new gasket now. Will try your suggestions.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile:The air cleaner base on those engines being plastic, warp. As suggested, Double gasket is the trick and should solve your problem.

wch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced gasket. Seems to be working well now . Thanks to all responders.