Why Do the Idiots Waste My Time

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a site I'm not a member of I am given the search option, i.e. the word "search" is available to me. Upon searching by entering a user name I get "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed".

So if they aren't going to allow me to search why waste my time by allowing me to click on the word search.

If they're looking for new membership I wouldn't think that's a very good way to treat a prospective member.

mois25

Threads
Most of these verification images get me the wrong way too until I figured out once in a while it could be a mistake in what you input.

Have you tried contacting the site's administrators?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The primary reason the 'verify what you see, and enter it correctly' things are done, is to keep someone with malicious intent from overwhelming a search function with an automatic program that start an infinite number of searches ... that would bring the entire site to a STOP and then EVERYONES time would be wasted plus no one, visitors or members would be able to use the site... It is there to prevent that from happening... Generally members do not have to do that step because it is relatively easy to keep track of members that go out of their way to crash a site...
Just be glad someone took the trouble to set up the site and allow non members to have some access to it... not all sites are that tolerant.
Hackers and would be hackers screw with things for sport... there are also others that do it for more devious reasons...
I for one REALLY appreciate the great efforts taken on this site to keep the flow of communications open and functioning... Thanks again Muhammad.... :smile:KennyV

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I'm not allowed to search then leave the word "search" off of my computer screen.

Ever drive several miles to find a sign on a bridge that the bridge is out. And while driving those several miles back you are wondering why the sign was put at the bridge rather that at the beginning of those several miles.:thumbdown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I'm not allowed to search then leave the word "search" off of my computer screen.

Some sites are designed more intuitive and user friendly than others... :smile:KennyV

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
That's so funny, because I just noticed this for the first time about.. 2 days ago. I wanted to find information on a specific clothing item, and then had to enter that too. I decided against it, because I just think that makes no sense. It's supposed to help with spam, right? So, how would I be spamming or anything of that nature when I'm just trying to search?! :laughing:

Jess

Forum Newbie
Threads
The internet can be a very annoying place at times lol. People just don't think of these kinds of things:laughing: Life would be so much better if they did lol

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's so funny, because I just noticed this for the first time about.. 2 days ago. I wanted to find information on a specific clothing item, and then had to enter that too. I decided against it, because I just think that makes no sense. It's supposed to help with spam, right? So, how would I be spamming or anything of that nature when I'm just trying to search?! :laughing:

IF you were just trying to load down the search engine, by running your program to 'search' for millions of results... it would crash the site...
if you have to enter 'what you see' with each search... you would not be able to write a program that could easily over load the search engine...

So the visual ID and enter is something a human can easily do ... but a simple program can NOT... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
People just don't think of these kinds of things:laughing: Life would be so much better if they did lol

Like they say ..."It pays to think"....
:smile:KennyV