Repairs John Deere Z225 Runs but stalls when parking brake is released or blades are engaged

jimbo69ny

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere Z225 Runs but stalls when parking brake is released or blades are engaged
I just bought this mower from Lowes. It was a left over model and I got a killer deal on it. Its not working correctly but it was such a good deal I decided to buy it and try to fix it. It only has .6 hours on it.
They said it was stored inside over the winter but it looks a little weathered.

The problem is this.

It starts up fine. The idle fluctuates a little but Im guessing thats just due to old gas. I probably should've drained it out but I threw in some fresh gas to dilute it. All is well until I either disengage the parking lever or engage the blades. I have seen many other people asking the same question but not really any answers.

Can you guys please help me? I dont want to pay tons of money to a John Deere service department.

So far all I have tried is bypassing the seat switch with a jumper wire. Nothing changed.

kenkah

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere Z225 Runs but stalls when parking brake is released or blades are engaged
My guess would be to replace the sensor on the seat. you can try disconnecting and then going through the same process as a test, not sure if it will work with the sensor disconnected but worth a shot. If it is the sensor I would replace it as it is an important safety feature.

jimbo69ny

Forum Newbie
Threads
My guess would be to replace the sensor on the seat. you can try disconnecting and then going through the same process as a test, not sure if it will work with the sensor disconnected but worth a shot. If it is the sensor I would replace it as it is an important safety feature.

I bypassed the seat switch then the brake switch and still not working. So I checked the fuses and replaced them all just in case. Still nothing. Tested the ignition relay and its not working. So I bypassed that and reconnected the safety switches. It now stays running but it doesn't move.....

Man, I just don't know. I'm going to replace the relay tomorrow and see what that does....

kenkah

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good luck with it. Electrical sensors relays fuses etc are always a pain in the ***.

I bypassed the seat switch then the brake switch and still not working. So I checked the fuses and replaced them all just in case. Still nothing. Tested the ignition relay and its not working. So I bypassed that and reconnected the safety switches. It now stays running but it doesn't move.....

Man, I just don't know. I'm going to replace the relay tomorrow and see what that does....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't know why you just don't take it the a John Deere dealer and have them repair it under warranty if you just bought it.

PJ

Threads
I just bought this mower from Lowes. It was a left over model and I got a killer deal on it. Its not working correctly but it was such a good deal I decided to buy it and try to fix it. It only has .6 hours on it.
They said it was stored inside over the winter but it looks a little weathered.

The problem is this.

It starts up fine. The idle fluctuates a little but Im guessing thats just due to old gas. I probably should've drained it out but I threw in some fresh gas to dilute it. All is well until I either disengage the parking lever or engage the blades. I have seen many other people asking the same question but not really any answers.

Can you guys please help me? I dont want to pay tons of money to a John Deere service department.

So far all I have tried is bypassing the seat switch with a jumper wire. Nothing changed.

this is not a serious problem give the battery a good recycling charge. When you release the handbrake or engage the blades a lot of battery power is drawn by the electromagnetic clutches pulling the power away from the ignition system and the engine cuts out. your solution charge or replace the battery

regards

PJ

Bdegroat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same problem with my z225. Is there any updates on a solution? Could really use the help.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This thread is 3 years old. Start a new thread and tell us exactly what is going on. Model number off the mower and engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The seat switch and the PTO switch are connected to the kill wire in a safety circuit
The seat switch and the brake switch are connected to the kill switch in a safety circuit
The motion control levers and the brake switch are connected to the kill switch in another safety circuit.

John Deere have an excellent technical service manual which will take ou through the diagnosis and repair proceedures in a step by step mannar.
It also shows you exactly where each and every part is on the mower and on a seperate diagram where all the plugs are in the loom.
Down side it is expensive.
Upside it is less than 1 hour labour charge at any repair shop so pays for itself the first time you use it.