New Member and new "used" mower

Scuttlebutt

Forum Newbie
Threads
In 1983, I got a Snapper Riding Mower that was flooded with salt water. A new 11Hp Briggs/Straton engine was installed along with rebuilding transmission. It is still cutting grass, but on the verge of costing too much to up keep. I was given another Snapper Riding mower "hi-vac" that is in good condition with a 14.5hp engine and appears to be about 5 years old. Is there a way to determine the age? If this one last for 30 years, it will be long inherited by my next of kin. The frame on the 1983 mower has not rusted out, but motor loosing oil around the bottom seal. Many of the parts are the same for both Snappers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the engine numbers of the unit your are asking about. From that we will be able to determine it's age, and the style of engine.

Scuttlebutt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post the engine numbers of the unit your are asking about. From that we will be able to determine it's age, and the style of engine.

The 11Hp was replaced as my Grandson did not replace the oil cap causing the engine to lockup. A used 14.5 was installed. I was hoping that I could get ID from the frame.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I know that on the old walk-behinds the first digit in the deck serial number refers to the last digit in the year it was built. For example, one of my mowers has a serial number 74322060 - it was built in 1987. The B&S motors are date-coded also, the first two digits in the code stamped on the engine indicates when the engine was built but if the mower doesn't have the original engine obviously that doesn't help. Maybe the s/n on the riders is like those on the walk-behinds.