A quandry....D120 or X300

Aggie88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go for as much as you can afford. You'll always find another use for the tractor that makes something bigger a better buy. You'll be happier in the long run.

dleebold

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere D100 Vs X300 Lawn Tractors

On the showroom floor there does not appear to be a whole lot different between the John Deere D100 Series model riding mowers and the X300 Select Series models. So why does the X300 Series have twice the warranty?

Heavier and More Durable Frame

The X300 Select Series frame is a solid one piece frame weighing in at nearly 100 lbs and the D100 Series frame is a two piece welded frame weight in at a little over 50 lbs.

This X300 Select Series frame is also thicker to make it more rigid to hold up for years of use and the added weight improves traction and better attachment performance.

Larger Transmission For Increased Productivity

The X300 Select Series transmission provides 165 lb-ft of torque and the D100 series models product 126 lb-ft of torque which is about 25% increase.

This increase in torque allows the X300 lawn tractor to climb hills better, tow more weight, and push more snow. The X304 model also features all wheel steering for tighter turning in and around obstacles for faster mower times.

Engineered For Comfort and Convenience

The X300 Select Series models feature a higher back seats with more suspension travel, foot operated deck lift rather than hand lift, standard cruise control and electric PTO engagement.

These features keep the operator more comfortable during their time mowing and reducing fatigue from lifting deck and other front attachments by hand.

Twice the Warranty

The X300 Select Series lawn tractors also come with a 4 year / 300 hour warranty vs the 2 year / 120 hour warranty on D100 Series mowers.

This increased warranty shows John Deere has more confidence in their Select Series line-up and with quality and performance upgrades they are sure to last the test of time!

:drink:

beaverfood

Forum Newbie
Threads
This, or similar, has probably been asked before....anyway...

Never owned a riding mower before but am getting older and tired of pushing. Have a 1 acre property in the North Georgia mountains...mostly wooded so the actual grass area is much less than that. Reasonably flat...terrain not really a problem. I'm not sure how to rate it but I would say the mower would get light to moderate "abuse" at most. 99% of the time it will be used solely to cut grass.

Now, there is no doubt the x300 is a better machine (probably significantly better) but I am taken somewhat aback by the $1200 price differential. Seems like overkill to me given that my lawn situation isn't especially demanding. There is a huge tractor dealership in my town. They barely stock the D Series, basically stating "that's a Home Depot model". They fully stock the X Series as it is a "real John Deere" with better engine, better warranty, etc.

I don't want to have to buy another mower in two years, although with the price differential, that's almost not unreasonable.

Looking for advice from anyone that wants to chime in that has more experience than I (which means everyone and anyone). Everyone has opinions.....should I go with the cheaper model or cry all the way from the bank and go with the X300?

I purchased an X300 at the start of 2013. Very happy with it. I had the smaller model for 3 years and had to replace head gaskets a couple times every year. It was a piece of junk. I sold it at the end of my driveway.