A quandry....D120 or X300

rickjs

Forum Newbie
Threads
This, or similar, has probably been asked before....anyway...

Never owned a riding mower before but am getting older and tired of pushing. Have a 1 acre property in the North Georgia mountains...mostly wooded so the actual grass area is much less than that. Reasonably flat...terrain not really a problem. I'm not sure how to rate it but I would say the mower would get light to moderate "abuse" at most. 99% of the time it will be used solely to cut grass.

Now, there is no doubt the x300 is a better machine (probably significantly better) but I am taken somewhat aback by the $1200 price differential. Seems like overkill to me given that my lawn situation isn't especially demanding. There is a huge tractor dealership in my town. They barely stock the D Series, basically stating "that's a Home Depot model". They fully stock the X Series as it is a "real John Deere" with better engine, better warranty, etc.

I don't want to have to buy another mower in two years, although with the price differential, that's almost not unreasonable.

Looking for advice from anyone that wants to chime in that has more experience than I (which means everyone and anyone). Everyone has opinions.....should I go with the cheaper model or cry all the way from the bank and go with the X300?

mowerman05

Threads
I dont know anything about the D series but the X 300 IMO is a excellent mower. my mother in law bought one for me to mow her yard and blow the snow out of the drive, LOVE it. no problems. I mow part time for a living with a zero turn mower and still enjoy running the X 300

Jimmyjo

Threads
Buying the X 300 or the D series are two different types of purchases. The D120 will mow your lawn of an acre or less for many years if properly maintained. The X300 is more of a longer term investment in a mower that is clearly better built. If I were in the market for the X series I'd pass on the X300 in favor of the X310. Better trany,power lift,power steering. I think for it's size the X310 is the finest machine out there without a close second place. For me the D series would do fine but after visiting two dealers one don't want to sell them but would get me one if I wanted one. The other dealer said selling the D series is not what we are all about. I always like to dealer buy and have been thinking about one but in this case if I do get one It will be from Home Depot. These dealers are going to be useless IMO. Right now Home Depot will give a 7P trailer with the purchase as well. May even have some other incentives from time to time. I suggest the D series and leave your money in the bank. 4k to mow and acre or less don't seem reasonable.

Threads
My neighbor bought a D series here from the dealer only to find out it was the exact same model Home Depot had, and Home depot was cheaper.

Roylawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a la130 I traded in for X300 it is much better, easlier to steer, when engaging deck it is very much smoother, with la130 it sounded like it was coming apart. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased X300 the first time, just a much better riding mower. Go to a john deere dealer and test drive the two.

djmiked

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was in the same situation as the original OP and I ended up purchasing the X310 because of the reasons stated above, better serviceable transmission, power lift and power steering. I take delivery of it this week. I can't wait!

RSNovi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Resale value is also very good on the X series.

Jhon

Threads
I also was in the same situation as the OP and went with the LA120 (Like the D) and 7 season later, the extra money I would have spent on the 300 is still in the bank, and my LA is running and looking just fine. No doubt the 300 is a better tractor, but I didn't need it.

captaineddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in North Georgia as well, and I bought the X310. I like the power steering and hydraulic lift. My only dislike of the mower is the mower cut-off when in go into reverse. I know you can hold up the PTO switch, but I just can't get used to this!

Roylawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in North Georgia as well, and I bought the X310. I like the power steering and hydraulic lift. My only dislike of the mower is the mower cut-off when in go into reverse. I know you can hold up the PTO switch, but I just can't get used to this!

I have seen on ebay a rubber piece that can be placed under switch so it will not cut-off when reversing, may help you out.