Briggs & Stratton 675 Series Repair Question (Video and Pics)

rdiggidy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton 675 Series Repair Question (Video and Pics)
I have a Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower that has a Briggs & Stratton 675 engine. Bought it off a guy about a year ago and it has run great over the last year. Last week it had a very tough time starting. When it finally did start, big white cloud of smoke and then it would idle up and down. After running for about 5 minutes it "settled down" and I was able to mow.

After some Google research I decided to replace the spark plug (picture: Old Plug) and the gas. This week it did essentially the same thing: hard to start, white cloud of smoke, then idling up and down. After running for a minute or so it died and would not start again.

Video of it running this week (click pic to watch video):

I'm fairly handy with repairing things, but don't know enough about engines to know what to do next. Left to my own knowledge (which isn't much), I'd probably replace the fuel filter next. Any suggestions?

(Gas and oil are both full by the way).

Ifixdit

Threads
White smoke is typically an oil issue. You said the oil is full. Is it possibly overfull? Double check it with the oil cold. I would also pull the air filter and see if there is oil residue in there. If it's dirty, clean it out real good or replace it, run it, then see if you get more residue. If so, I would think you have a bad exhaust gasket. Looking at the video, it sounds like the engine is leaning out causing it to surge. I would disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning and see if that helps.

junebug1701

Threads
My son has the same mower and had the same problem. Turns out he had left it for months with old gas in it which had turned to varnish and gummed up the choke plate. Open up the air cleaner and remove the air filter. Just inside the opening you should see the choke plate. It should move freely and open and close easily with your finger or a pen. If not, you need to free it up with some carb cleaner from a spray can.

rdiggidy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for the suggestions!

I'll start with checking the Choke Plate (is it ok to do the carb cleaner with it attached to the mower or is that no good since it's right at the intake)?

If that doesn't work I'll trying cleaning up the carb.

As for overfill on the oil, no oil added in the past 3 months, in which it had been running fine. Double checked the oil level and it is not over filled.

junebug1701

Threads
Thank you both for the suggestions!

I'll start with checking the Choke Plate (is it ok to do the carb cleaner with it attached to the mower or is that no good since it's right at the intake)?

If that doesn't work I'll trying cleaning up the carb.

As for overfill on the oil, no oil added in the past 3 months, in which it had been running fine. Double checked the oil level and it is not over filled.

Yes, it's OK to spray the carb cleaner with the carb attached. Just put something down over the deck as some cleaners will attack the paint.

rdiggidy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you gentlemen for your help.

Pulled the carb off. It looked pretty clean, but I went ahead and cleaned it best I could. Put it back on and the lawn mower fired right up!

Thanks!

Ifixdit

Threads
That's great! I'm glad that worked out for you and thanks for sharing your success story with us. :smile: