Craftsman LT1000 Engine

BIGxMONEY

Threads
I have a Craftsman LT1000 with a 17.5 hp motor. First off, it runs rough. When it is running it isnt smooth it sounds like little "backfires". And when I turn down the lever to slow the engine down it just dies and will not idle. I believe it may be the carb. I did have to install a fuel shutoff because there was still gas flow into the engine even after the machine was turned off.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the carb needs cleaned and the needle valve replaced. If the fuel is running in faster than it can burn the fuel, it will cause it to run rich. Something else to check is does the oil smell like gas. If so then change the oil and filter if has one.

BIGxMONEY

Threads
I did have to add a gas shutoff because there was gas in the oil and since then there hasn't been a problem. But the engine sound like it isn't getting enough had to start running at low rpms and not run smoothly at high ones.

Threads
I did have to add a gas shutoff because there was gas in the oil and since then there hasn't been a problem. But the engine sound like it isn't getting enough had to start running at low rpms and not run smoothly at high ones.

The carb is gummed up, and the fuel shut off solenoid.

X-man

Threads
So taking off the carb and cleaning should fix the engine problems while it is running?

I agree with wjjones.
Removing the carb and cleaning it should fix the problem. I just recently cleaned the carb on my mower because it was running rough on full throttle. Fixed the problem.

BIGxMONEY

Threads
I agree with wjjones.
Removing the carb and cleaning it should fix the problem. I just recently cleaned the carb on my mower because it was running rough on full throttle. Fixed the problem.
You just took off the carb and cleaned it? Did you put any sea foam in the gas after to insure it was clean unclogged?

X-man

Threads
You just took off the carb and cleaned it? Did you put any sea foam in the gas after to insure it was clean unclogged?

No, I didn't put any stabilizer in the gas. I just cleaned the carb with carburetor cleaner and called it a day.

Threads

I put fuel satbil in my gas, and used a paper clip to clean the main jet out it was the main issue with the carb. When fuel sits it tends to gel up, and varnish all the internal parts the main jet is so small it doesnt take much to restrict the fuel from going through.

BIGxMONEY

Threads
I put fuel satbil in my gas, and used a paper clip to clean the main jet out it was the main issue with the carb. When fuel sits it tends to gel up, and varnish all the internal parts the main jet is so small it doesnt take much to restrict the fuel from going through.

I won't be able to look at the mower until tomorrow but I also have a problem with the engine just turning off when I turn it down to the lowest idle speed. Is this because there isn't enough gas? Because it takes more gas at higher rpms right? So why would it die at lower ones?