Troy Bilt Transaxle service

mnobile1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new to the forum and appreciate any help you can provide. I have a Troy Bilt lawn tractor. I recently disassembled the transmission (transaxle) as it no longer had forward drive. Found the worn gear and replaced, no problem. However, I have no idea what oil or grease needs to go into the unit before I put it together. It is definitely not oil inside. It looks like a very thick grease. TroyBilt website say it takes "19 ounces of Shell Grease". I did a Google search for this grease and cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I can buy it, or, what is compatible and where I can purchase the compatible grease?

Thank you in advance, Mike

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get us the mower model number, and if possible any model number info for the tranny so we know what you are looking at.

natenkiki2004

Threads
I've personally done a fair bit of research into small engine small gearboxes and what I've found is that quite a few people recommend getting a 00 grease. Basically it's a grease that actually flows much like a very thick gear oil. It won't leak out of questionable seals and tends to stick and hold up to pressures very well. Typically my research is for snowblower auger gearboxes but I've also found the same answers for small transmissions on push mowers and transmissions on snowblowers. Transaxles on riding mowers are different and usually take a 20W-50 motor oil.

Here's what I've gathered in my notes to get:
00 or 000 EP grease (NOT "0"):
shell alvania epr
lubriplate lithium
sunoco prestige 740aep
mobile mobilplex ep23
texaco marfak ap

Hope this helps somewhat :) Like ILENGINE said, having numbers from your machine would help in finding what exactly the manufacturer recommended in the first place.

mnobile1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for responding. I hope this info helps:

Mower model #: 13AO77TG766
Serial #: 1B076B70179
Transaxle Part #: 618-04381
Transaxle Serial #: 0B04604-2280

Troy Bilt tells me I need "19 oz. of Darina Grease" for the Transaxle. I cant find it anywhere.

natenkiki2004

Threads
Thank you all for responding. I hope this info helps:

Mower model #: 13AO77TG766
Serial #: 1B076B70179
Transaxle Part #: 618-04381
Transaxle Serial #: 0B04604-2280

Troy Bilt tells me I need "19 oz. of Darina Grease" for the Transaxle. I cant find it anywhere.

I looked up the transaxle part and realized it's from a riding mower. Almost looks like something HydroGear would make, maybe contact them and see if they did make it:
Contact Hydro-Gear - Hydrostatic Drives Transmissions and Transaxles

I've found their e-mail help valuable and knowledgeable in the past.

Aside from that, it looks like Darina is made by Shell and is a clay-based type "0" grease. I'm not sure what the benefits of a clay-based grease are but maybe a lithium-based type 0 would be an adequate substitute... Just guessing here.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a MTD manufactured transaxle. Don't have info on grease other than there own part number for a 19 oz container.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My research says that the Shell Darina grease is a clay based lubricant similar to Tecumseh's Bentenite grease. The biggest differences I have found is that it can with stand higher temperatures and compression loads. Like Bentenite it is very moisture resistant. Being a clay based grease there is very little cross reference material, as these type of grease are starting to be fazed out in most applications.

mnobile1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for your help. I found it at Sears, online. Part # is 737-0300A. It comes in 8ox. tubes @ about $20.00 each. This replaces old MTD part # 737-0148. Also, the Bentonite grease used in Peerless transmission will work as well. Their part # is 788067. The Peerless is the better buy, 32oz for about $35.00

Make it a great day!

Buckshot 1

Threads
That is a MTD manufactured transaxle. Don't have info on grease other than there own part number for a 19 oz container.
:smile: When did MTD start manufacturing transaxles?